Images of audio CDs for transfer to Win PC

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 7enderbender, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Hi there,

I'm still new to Mac and have learned a great deal of new stuff over the last few weeks - including some great information found here in this forum.

Most issues have been pretty minor and were resolved more easily than I thought. So far a good experience for my needs.

I'm stuck with two issues. This is one of them:

I occasionally need to create audio CDs, then generate some sort of an image file of that CD, and then ftp it to other people's server. Those people are Windows based and need to take those image files and burn regular audio CDs again. Sounds simple enough and we've been doing this with Nero easily before. Only Nero is not available for Mac.

And just to get it out of the way: yes, I do own the copyrights for the content. And no, CDs are not dead (yet) and simple moving stuff to MP3 or other formats is not an option in this case.

So what is the easiest way so that I can have an image file that works on both Mac and Win? I'm willing to buy a piece of software on the Mac side but not for the Win counterparts. So ideally I need to create something that Nero or any of the free tools for Win can burn to audio CD again.

Just learned that .iso is not an option for audio CDs. Never knew that. So the way the app "Burn" does it seems not to work in my scenario.

Thanks

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Use best disk mastering/burning software for Mac there is - Toast Titanium. It will create you a .toast file but that's essentially a .iso so you can simply rename it.
    PS also iTunes is able to master audio and MP3 CD-s but I know of no way to burn them into image files, iTunes insists on burning to a physical burner.

3. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

So could I simply rename or save it as an .nrg or .img file in Toast Titanium? Again, I'm talking standard audio CD format which according to my research on this can NOT be an .iso image. And MP3 CDs are not an option or anything else for that matter that changes any data on the audio CD (compression, different gaps etc)

Thanks again

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can rip or master a regular Audio CD in Toast, correct.

OK, I stand corrected. If your project is an audio CD, you have 2 options to save it as image:

1) .bin/.cue pair (plus .cdt if you include CD-Text)
    2) Sound Designer II file (.Sd2f)

Not sure about the Sound Designer, but bin/cue you can burn on Windows as well.

5. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

So I've been doing more reading on this and still haven't found a good answer - if there is one.

So here's the basic rephrased question again: how can I make an exact copy of an audio CD in OS X, save it as a kind of image that can then sent by ftp to somebody with a Windows PC to burn it back to a regular audio CD?

Could Toast do that? And in which file format does Toast save this image off the audio CD? And is that something Nero on a PC could burn?

I know that CDs are not en vogue anymore and a lot of folks don't even have drives and players anymore but for musicians it's still important - at least in certain genres where you still think of "albums" and not "songs for a buck".

6. allthingsapple macrumors member

Yes you can use Toast. Open up toast, Select the music files or folders and click burn to disk image. the output image will have a .toast extension. right click on the file and click get info (or use command i) and change the .toast extension to .iso by removing the .toast and replacing it by typing .iso and hitting the return key. The PC users can then use Nero or Poweriso to burn the ISO Image to a cd at their end

7. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Not to sound like a jerk, but this doesn't sound right. From all I know .iso images don't work for audio CDs, certainly not on Windows PCs. Also, my question is not to create something that resembles an audio CD from files and folders but from an actual audio CD that has been previously authored.

Can Toast do any other image formats? I'm pretty sure it can't create nrg (even though it can read it). Probably leaves us with bin/cue which is a bit cumbersome and error prone.

Best bet seems to be to keep a Windows machine around for this or run a virtual machine for these rare instances. A bit disappointing given that Macs are supposed to be the machine for musicians.

8. allthingsapple macrumors member

i've done some research and it looks like the program linked below will do the job. it creates a virtual cd which you can burn to directly from iTunes. Gives output files in .cue and .bin ready to be burned on a pc with nero. There is a free trial of 15 days which is renewable when it runs out. Check the link below for more info.

http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-CD-RW/3000-2100_4-75065883.html

9. 7enderbender, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Thank you for researching and posting this. I'll try this today.

So - I just tried this. Installed fine. It quickly generated a bin/iso pair from within iTunes by letting you chose the virtual drive as opposed to the physical CD drive when burning a playlist to "CD".

The image mounts to the desktop and when unmounting it lets you chose a location to store the files. I think this could come in real handy for a number of things.

I have yet to check if it can read out CDs from the physical drive. And we're now testing if the Win PC on the other end can put everything back together in one piece.

Great find and at $30 bucks (after the trial period) potentially a much better deal than Toast for my specif purpose.