images off the net

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by zuma022, Feb 6, 2010.

1. zuma022 macrumors regular

I'm halfway through creating a website for my boss and he can't understand that pictures found in google image search aren't free for the taking.
    How do you handle/explain to your customers that it's not okay and that I need to use pictures we own the copyrights to or stock photos.
    Have there been any lawsuits or anything that I could tell him about. He thinks it's all a grey zone and nobody cares. Thanks!

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Simply invite your boss to look up U.S. copyright law (assuming you're in the US). Any image on the web is copyrighted unless it expressly states that it is public domain.
    I'm not aware of any notable lawsuits because it usually doesn't go beyond a Cease and Desist letter if someone finds you've Google-ganked their image.

3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Just say no and show him the door.
    I don't argue with the cable guy that is hooking up my internet service, or my tax attorney when he gives me advice, nor should you be expected to debate the specifics of your chosen profession with an idiot.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Adding to the copyright laws...

If I see a business that uses photos that were taking off the web, I wouldn't take their business as something serious. Basically I wouldn't do business with them because out the box it wouldn't look as professional. They would come of as some halfazz company. You may have customers that are computer savvy and surf the web a lot. If they search your company, they have also searched photos related to your company.

5. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I have a copyright/IP lawyer who charges close to $900/hr.

About 6 years ago a book publishing company began publishing my colleague's work without the full rights to it. After securing the fact that the copyright claim was valid, she asked us a simple question:

"Do you want to put them out of business, or own them?"

We put them out of business.

You don't mess with these guys. She scared me, and I was on the side of the client :eek:

But for a creative person, its important to have this kind of protection.

6. zuma022 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'm ready to try and talk to him again tomorrow. Really good point re: people not wanting our business, that should sink in, even if the legal side doesn't seem to matter much to him.

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Gonna have to use that one in future! :D