ImageWriter vs. ImageWriter II Ribbon

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hi, I own several Apple ImageWriter II color ribbons and I might be acquiring an Apple ImageWriter I. Will the II ribbons work in the I? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :apple:

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Hi, I own several Apple ImageWriter II color ribbons and I might be acquiring an Apple ImageWriter I. Will the II ribbons work in the I? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :apple:
It's been 20 years, but.... No. They were completely different printers. I had an ImageWriter I, and lusted after a II at the time :rolleyes: I'm 99% sure the black ribbons were not interchangeable, and I KNOW the 'rainbow ribbon' would not work in a IW1.

We used to extend the life of the ribbons by using a paperclip to press in a little locking tab on the ribbon, which would allow you to 'rewind' it. It worked fine for the second use, third was kind of bad, and 4th was desperation-only.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
It's been 20 years, but.... No. They were completely different printers. I had an ImageWriter I, and lusted after a II at the time :rolleyes: I'm 99% sure the black ribbons were not interchangeable, and I KNOW the 'rainbow ribbon' would not work in a IW1.

We used to extend the life of the ribbons by using a paperclip to press in a little locking tab on the ribbon, which would allow you to 'rewind' it. It worked fine for the second use, third was kind of bad, and 4th was desperation-only.
thanks for the response. i'm glad i know. i'm looking into an imagewriter i for my collction. i collect old electronics. especially apple stuff.