Imaginary clicking making MBA unusable

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Monkeychemist, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Monkeychemist macrumors member

Hello everyone,

One of my MBA is the 11in with the C2D processor. It ran fine for about a year but now I keep having these problems with it clicking on it own. I just move the cursor around and it clicks or holds on to icons magically without my consent. It has made this laptop unusable. I've done the usual of repairing permissions and command+P+R upon restart to no avail. What the heck is going on? Since when are macs buggy?

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Under system prefences -> trackpad, check to make sure touch to click isnt on. Other than that, it may be a hardware issue. On my 2010 13" MBA I treated my trackpad pretty poorly, so it got to the point where the same thing you are experiencing happened. The physical clicker was worn out, so it doesn't make the sound when you click, but it still registers the click itself. It is not a software problem, and you probably just abused the trackpad.

Matt

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It looks like ifixit has guides for 11"MBA trackpad replacements. And you could probably pick one up for less than the $110 they're asking.

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Lol

Same thing happens to my Macbook Air, it started doing it last year then I thought it went away but it came back last week.

Tried cleaning it thinking there was some layer of grease on it or something, but that didn't help. I've just decided to take it into Apple and get the trackpad replaced.

5. orourke macrumors newbie

Trackpad replacement is super easy, take off back cover, undo battery and you have full access to the trackpad.

Replacement costs about $30 incl. shipping. Follow the ifixit guide and be careful of the 12 really small black screws holding the trackpad in place, it's SUPER easy to strip those tiny screws.

6. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

One fellow jammed those screws 2 times in a row, so don't be so confident about it. ;)

7. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I'll go get it replaced. I"m not feeling too confident opening it up. The other thing is that I thought perhaps it was a software bug that could be fixed with an update to Maverick...

Alas, my computer is now a brick because it had an error during installation. That's it I think I'm gonna be with Apple. They used to be such great products and now it's garbage!

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

One hardware failure and all of the sudden Apple products are garbage? :rolleyes:

9. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

First of all it's a hardware failure AND now a software failure as compared to absolutely none in the 9 macs I've owned since 1989. I've also had the power adapter fail 2 years after owning the computer, and my other air that I am using right now the screen flickers depending on the angle it's in. So, yes, Apple makes garbage products now.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your sample size isn't large enough to logically come to that conclusion. But go ahead and think whatever you want to think.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Unlikely but maybe malware, is an easy diagnostic if u are configured for rapid recovery (have good images of OS archived).

12. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

I didn't ask for your opinion on this matter, keep the trolling to yourself