Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Sadly they will probably be bought by patent trolls who will sell off their assets and keep the IP so they can sue Apple for patent infringement in the future.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I don't understand why Apple don't just buy the company outright and owns their IPs alongside it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Uh no. Let's try to be a little less cavalier with that term as if what you're describing can even be equated with slavery. What you're talking about is company benefits, employment, paying your own money, and taxes. Things associated with a job. A grand total of none of those things are associated with slavery.

Slavery: excessively dependent upon or controlled by something.

We are not talking about being able to wear shorts on Friday or being able to roll your vacation time into the next year. Modern healthcare has turned us into slaves and our employers into slave owners. They have a lot less to lose then we do if the relationship ends and so employee abuse is very common. Don't assume it isn't slavery just because they don't whip us. They don't have to, because the law here let's them use bankruptcies to harm people. Look at concepts such as vacations. Most people in the US never take vacation because they fear of losing their job. I've had jobs that are commission based that required you to hit the same numbers even if you were on vacation for three weeks. If you get sick you get written up. Legit Ill? Ok, you better still work from home or else you will need to do two days of work the next day.

Please don't assume that because other people have it worse the same word can't be used. Employment bound insurance in the US is a form of slavery. It is a way to restrict peoples rights, and is very much not a benefit.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Most people in the US never take vacation because they fear of losing their job.

False

46% take all their vacation days
Most of the rest take some of their days. On average they take half their days off.

The reasons they don't take all their days: They fear getting behind on their work (34%), believe no one else at their company can do the work while they’re out (30%), they are completely dedicated to their company (22%), and they feel they can never be disconnected (21%).

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
In principle, I agree with your assessment. Business is business, and sometimes it's cut throat. There are ways to be cut throat without appearing to be an opportunist and a bully. Intentionally or not, this is the appearance Apple gives some people in this situation: Not only am I going to stop doing business with you (ruining your company), but I'm going to go ahead and completely burn that bridge by taking some key employees as a door prize. <lights match>
Is it wrong? Nope. Again, business is business. Is it the right way to sever a long standing relationship? I wouldn't do it that way, but that doesn't make it wrong either. The optics are terrible and it would give me considerable pause if I was entering a relationship with Apple. I would think it would make any company considering working with Apple take a hard look at what they think the end of that relationship will look like... even before they begin it.

The management of Apple is clearly taking full advantage of their power. At this point they could care less about optics as they know full well they don't have to. They might not realize they are playing with Fire as people all around the world, generally, are getting fed up with tyrannical type behavior. Time will tell...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The management of Apple is clearly taking full advantage of their power. At this point they could care less about optics as they know full well they don't have to. They might not realize they are playing with Fire as people all around the world, generally, are getting fed up with tyrannical type behavior. Time will tell...

Yeah, like that one time I cancelled Sprint and switched Verizon. Sure, I had a moral obligation to stay with Sprint forever, but I exercised my power, despite the optics, and stopped doing business with Sprint. Obviously they were entitled to my money forever, but I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

In fact, I did the same thing today to Chipotle. Yeah, I ate at Chipotle yesterday, and I know that means they are entitled to my $11 a day for the rest of my life, but today I ate at Subway instead. I really don't care how it makes me look, I'm a powerful guy and I'll do what I want.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Yeah, like that one time I cancelled Sprint and switched Verizon. Sure, I had a moral obligation to stay with Sprint forever, but I exercised my power, despite the optics, and stopped doing business with Sprint. Obviously they were entitled to my money forever, but I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

In fact, I did the same thing today to Chipotle. Yeah, I ate at Chipotle yesterday, and I know that means they are entitled to my $11 a day for the rest of my life, but today I ate at Subway instead. I really don't care how it makes me look, I'm a powerful guy and I'll do what I want.

Ha. Have to wonder if 'cmaier' actually works for Apple....but anyways Thanks for the feedback but your analogy, while emotional, seems quite illogical to me. How do you compare the ramafications of purchase decisions made by an individual vs. business deals of one of the wealthiest companies in the world? Apple has a huge economic/trade footprint. For example, they love to bring up how many bazillion jobs they create as a by product of making the iphone. We live in a world where colleges turn out the most ill informed people imaginable. Has nobody is California ever heard of Sherman Antitrust? Does no one see any problems arising when companies amass such gargantuan amounts of money and power? Any issues related to using that leverage to jump into politics to protect and expand that power/control? I say, wake up people.... come out of your digital trance and smell the economic house on fire.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
False

46% take all their vacation days
Most of the rest take some of their days. On average they take half their days off.

The reasons they don't take all their days: They fear getting behind on their work (34%), believe no one else at their company can do the work while they’re out (30%), they are completely dedicated to their company (22%), and they feel they can never be disconnected (21%).

What? No. From the report you got those number: 54% didn't take all their days off. Of that 41% didn't take any days. Only 23% took all their days off, but it doesn't count if you still work, and 2/3rds of those who took a day off still worked and 1/4th went into the office on their vacation. That report you cited also included this gem: “We have almost no job security in the U.S., no legal requirement for severance pay and, with very few exceptions, can be laid off without notice.” So, all those things you quoted as reasons why they don't take them can be summarized as afraid of losing their job. After all, if you get behind, you're fired. If someone learns your job, your fired. If you arn't 100% dedicated you're fired. If you disconnect they will realize they can do it without you, and you're fired.

My point stand: most people in the US (>50%) never take a vacation, as defined as not working, because they fear of losing their job.

Why do people put up with this? Because employers hold significant power over employees who are easy to replace. If you get hit by a car you will never be able to pay off the bills. If you don't have a job with benifits you have to pay for insurance. You do have a job with benifits? Don't let anyone know they can survive without out you, even if that means never taking a day off.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Large power comes with large responsibility.

Even beyond that, corporations talk about doing philanthropical things to communities. Why not do the same to their own team (supplier)?
lol. Treat the supplier like a charity. What a world you live in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.