Imagine 2 iPad Mini Models

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WilliamLondon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Consider Apple releases this product with 2 models, one aimed squarely at a market that wants smaller *and* cheaper (competing with the current 7" tablets), and the other aimed squarely at the market that wants smaller *and* premium. Perhaps an iPad Mini and iPad Mini-X.

One could be a slimmed down iPad 2, same screen resolution no retina display aimed at keeping costs down (no 3G or LTE), with a price tag that reflects that. The other has retina display, faster processor, better connectivity and other product features I can't imagine (I'm not a product manager) that would make this version appealing to an audience looking for something better than what's out there, and willing to pay the premium Apple price tag. Both markets and both sets of needs would be met, and that would be something that would warrant not only a big launch but a launch that justified having an event for this product only.

Wouldn't that be good? Possible, or just simply improbable?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Improbable. Apple just doesn't roll that way. :apple:

3. urkel macrumors 68030

You mean like having an iPad that starts at $499 and goes up to $829?

These spec differences can be differentiated in price points so separate name classes is unnecessary and confusing.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. Having two screen sizes is already a lot of choices. I can imagine someone who's never used a tablet walking into an Apple store thinking he'd give this tablet thing a try, seeing two sizes, and unable to decide which one is right for him, walk out without buying any. So having even more variations? Just no way. In fact, if Apple did such a thing, that would cause me to hop on the "Apple is going down without Steve Jobs" bandwagon.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Why couldn't this be possible?

16GB wifi / no retina / no rear camera- $249
    16GB wifi / retina and all the works - $349
    32GB wifi / retina and all the works - $449

and so on ...

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That could work from a marketing standpoint, but not from a production standpoint. They'd need a separate assembly line for the non-retina model, and given that that is the low-end model, I'm not sure the separate assembly line can pay for itself. Combined with how high the iPod touch is being priced, I'm totally puzzled over how Apple will price the mini...

7. WLS macrumors 65816

Really doubtful and improbable. Every year we see these wishlist speculations and for the most part they never happen. Apple is not in the market to just make gee whiz toys for geeks. The mini will be aimed for the market below the 10 inch iPad and as such will not have specs that exceed it due to the economic restraints imposed to do business in that market. The mini will have the A5 Gen2 and the new iPad4 will get the A6 with some tweaking which appears to have enough power to handle the graphics demands of the retina display.

8. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

On a site devoted to rumours and speculation? Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Some people think this, but not all. I fear this.

Imagine what the press will say if they announce in a dedicated event with no other product announcements that Apple is launching a new tablet computer that copies others (some recently announced), which all have better resolution, all of which are cheaper and some of which have been selling for a year or more. If I were a journalist, I wouldn't cover the product's announcement as a launch, but I would write an article that says, "Apple is so ****ing arrogant they release a product with lower specs and higher price than the competitors they copied." Does that really seem like something Apple would be stupid enough to do?

Where is the "wow" in that? There's something that's missing in all these rumours and as an IT marketing professional, I wouldn't dare allow my company to run a launch event of a shrunk down iPad 2 with a few updated internals when it's not anything but less for more money than what the competition already sells.

9. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Couldn't agree with you more on this. The Mini HAS to have a retina display, not only to compete with the Kindle Fire HD/Nexus 7, but to dominate the 7 inch Tablet market, which is essentially the reason Apple would release it in the first place.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not quite sure we can assume that there will be no other product announcements -- the MacBooks and iMac could also be getting updates, which could be bundled in to the same event. However, I do agree with you that the iPad Mini needs some wow factor, that it can't just be the iPad 2 hardware bundled into a smaller size factor.

11. 725032 Guest

Great thread OP

Couldnt just add to the hundreds of other threads already on this subject

12. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I have been following the subject of the iPad Mini with great interest as I'd love to see a 7" iPad, but one that suits *my* needs (all of which have nothing to do with cost). I've even posted in multiple threads on here stating such, but I've yet to see one single thread (or post) discuss multiple models being launched on the same day targeting two different subsegments of the 7" market.

Forgive me but I thought it might make for an interesting discussion with others who are also interested in a 7" iPad (from both sides of the "iPad Mini divide," i.e. cost vs. feature-rich versions), but I obviously didn't do enough research as you're telling me there are "hundreds of other threads" that have discussed this specific topic already. Well, ad nauseum! :p

Given your superior and extensive research knowledge on the subject, rather than attack me and post, how about join the discussion? Do you think it's an interesting world where Apple releases two models of a 7" iPad on the same day? Why or why not? Which camp are you in?

13. henchman macrumors 6502a

Imagine Leprechauns and Unicorns In a glorious parade, showering everyone with gold as they pass by.

14. 725032 Guest

I wait patiently for the official release... No point in idle speculation

15. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Then why participate in a rumours and speculations forum? And how do you wait patiently? I've just started school and am waiting for news regarding this potential product, so I'm the exact opposite of patient, but with other products I'm still always eager to learn what they will release (not that I propose a Microsoft model of announcing a product at concept or alpha stage).

16. henchman macrumors 6502a

If the debacle of iOS 6 is any indication, I'm not expecting much from the iPad mini.

17. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Leprechauns and Unicorns together in the same parade? Impossible!

That's worse than human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

18. 725032 Guest

You will learn the virtue patience when you grow up

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think it's always a matter of age -- I could always wait patiently, even when I was very little. My mother and grandmother would be making me clothing or cooking food, and I'd always sit quietly and watch them work. Other kids would get excited and jump up and down and bug the adults, thus often *delaying* their work. So yes, it's better to wait patiently -- it's not like it'll happen any faster if you wait impatiently.

20. 725032 Guest

Thank you

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Let's not derail the thread with your golden shower fantasies. :p

22. henchman macrumors 6502a

Hahahahaha. Touché

23. WilliamLondon thread starter macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

You're just filled with compliments, aren't you?! Not only that but you're so willing to spread them around, which is I'm sure why you've achieved 6502 status in just over one month's membership on this site. Well done.

BTW, when I said I've just started school, I never meant to lead you to believe that I am myself young, which should not in itself be any justification for your offensive comment(s). Look at when I joined this forum and know this - I was more than the young adult you assumed I am now when I joined, which you used to justify attacking me (again). Not the first time in this thread you've decided that offence is better than joining the discussion.

Now what was it you said about growing up? :rolleyes:

24. guineapig macrumors regular

OP is OT!
    :D

I agree with your view on the wow factor but I don't see Apple making two distinct devices.
    Simply because with Apple it's never been about the price. As I already said in a couple other threads (not yet a hundred :D), the boldest move that Apple has made towards cost-cutting is reducing the price of the previous device while the new one came out. I don't see them releasing a low cost device aimed at not being the best so far, just for the sake of price.
    Apple is coming from a big expected success (the iPhone 5) but also from several relatively small inconveniences. If they make another mistake, it could start to hamper their reputation for good.