Imagine a world without fingerprints

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Applelad, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Applelad macrumors member

Say for some reason fingerprints didn't exist. Now imagine about 6 years ago Apple worked out how to unlock a phone by facial recognition and 'swiping up'. After 6 years of research Apple works out a way to get your DNA from a finger touch - whoooo, all you need to do is touch your phone and it unlocks. It would be the biggest upgrade ever and leave that crapy old holding your phone to your face and 'swiping up' for dead!

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I see what you're saying I think. Are you trying to say that faceID in essence is an "older" technology or maybe "less advanced" technology than touchID?

3. Applelad thread starter macrumors member

Well not quite. I'm just saying that just because one technology comes after another doesn't mean the newer technology is better or more useful for a particular situation. You normally touch your phone before you look directly at the screen so unlocking on touch is always going to be a more responsive way to unlock it.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

And, you really don't need to move the phone before you look at the screen. I think I read that you simply touch the screen, and the scanner will be active, waiting for your beautiful face to look deep into the soul of your iPX --- well, in a techy sort of way :D

5. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

I agree with you to a certain extent. I'm still not convinced with Face Id but I don't think Apple would switch to it unless they were convinced of it's reliability and quickness.

Apple ultimately needed to come out with a "all display" phone whether they wanted to or not, to compete with rivals and they couldn't figure out imbedded touch ID under the display. I'm sure they are still working hard on cracking the code and I wouldn't be surprised if we see touch ID sometime again in the future.