imagine the iMac as a tablet

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jondunford, Dec 19, 2013.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

imagine if the iMac was the same thinness at the edge, all the way through, and it had no base on it and it was a giant 27" tablet

tablets are replacing laptops and i think there will be desktop tablets in the near future

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

how would you power such a device? and it would be so heavy.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

And the ergonomics of touching a big screen are rather suckish. You have a longer reach to parts of the screen, and it tends to sit farther away, lest you have front-row theater issues. Maybe a table top for some stuff, or as a whiteboard alternative. But those will likely be more specialized uses, and no one seems to be clamoring for them.

And for many users having a screen that isn't all smudged up is pretty essential.

4. minimalism macrumors member

I can only imagine the horror of carrying a bulky iMac tablet, not to mention the neck pain you'll get after using it for a couple of minutes.

5. dangerly macrumors regular

I hate finger smudges on my iPhone, please keep touch screen away from iMacs.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

No, I'd really rather not.

7. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I hope that Mac OS X does NOT follow in the footsteps of Windows 8 touch. Their approach to integrating the OS on both Mobile device and Desktop is bad in my opinion.

I think having OS X and iOS devices working together is great, but adding touch to an iMac would be too much.

Maybe I am just too much of a neat freak and hate fingerprints on my iMac.

8. TennisandMusic

Errr...there already are and have been for some time. Some of them can even run on battery if necessary.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-tap

9. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

thanks for the constructive comment ;)

10. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Coming up with a better input device or improving the mouse and trackpad are more important than simply adding touch to the iMac. Using touch on a 27" screen is impractical, not to mention it would make the aspects of desktop computing very difficult.