Imaging multiple iMacs with Leopard and Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Quinton, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Quinton macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the Mac world and from what I see so far, I like.

I've done some searching but can't seem to find any information for what I’m looking for.

Here is what I’m looking to do:
    I would like to deploy images containing Vista and Leopard to multiple iMac machines at the same time for our labs.

Does anyone know of software that can do this? From what I get from my colleague is that Ghost can't do it. We have a way of doing it now, but it’s a long and complicated process.

Thanks
    Quinton

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I am busy trying to achieve the best / easiest way to do this.

Setting up a NetRestore Server using Mac OS X Server 10.5.x is the way to start. It is quite easy to deploy HFS+ (for the Mac OS X installation partition) images this way, but I also want to get Vista deployed the same way.
    I am thinking of giving Winclone a try for creating the image of the NTFS partition, and using Leopard Server's Automator-like actions doing a post installation of the Vista partition.

I can't work on it all the time, and only sometime next week I can work on it further.

I will keep you posted if you want.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

how bout using carbon copy cloner to clone Mac OS X to an external hard drive or partition and then restore it to the new macs using disk util while booted off the install DVD.
    N.B. make sure winclone is installed on the cloned mac for the next step.

for vista use winclone (which is a mac app) to clone the vista image to an external hard drive or partition that is formatted to NTFS. then when youve restored the Mac OS X image to all the macs use winclone to restore the vista image.

4. Quinton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information.

macsrgr8, sure, i'd like to know what you figured out.

Drop me an email at "x95xqk" at Microsoft's hotmail service. (I should get a .Mac account eh? :)

I don't like typing out my full email address because of email scanners for spammers. So the username is x95xqk

Thanks
    Q :apple: