Imaging out of the box/with BootCamp windows partition? Acronis boot cd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markm75, Oct 11, 2010.

1. markm75 macrumors member

I have the latest Acronis Backup and Recovery v10 boot cd.. i was hoping to use this to backup the out of the box macbook pro we just received..

It did show 2 partitions, one with about 239GB and 0 bytes free.. i had not gone through the setup wizard as of yet.

It is moving along as far as taking the image, but i'm not sure if this is safe to revert to or not..

Does anyone know?

(new to macbooks)..

Secondly, we will have bootcamp installed soon, with windows on that partition.. ideally we need to be able to backup via image the entire harddrive and revert to previous images as needed..

Hoping the bootable Acrnois is the answer..

However, i did read that Carbon Copy can be used.. does this backup bootcamp/windows partitions too.. will it create a bootable cd option or bootmenu option to restore?

Thanks for any advice

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Carbon Copy Cloner creates a disk image - it will work with any partition as all it is is a disk imager which outputs a .dmg file (generally) , which needs another Mac (via FireWire Target Disk Mode) to restore it, or a separate external HD to boot Mac OS X off of to restore. (No clue about the Acronis Stuff, I keep my OSes seperate and just back up data instead of programs).

3. markm75 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm ok, this may not work for us.. here we have the macbook pro as a test computer to test our software and hardware on it.. which needs to go back to an initial state in each case.. without the ability to have a menu to restore from or at least a bootable recovery disc, this could be tricky... maybe the external hdd