Imaging Process

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacTechDeadHead, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MacTechDeadHead macrumors newbie

I am looking for software or any suggestions, to take an image that my department creates, reimage a mac and then put all the data and software back. You will also need to choose additional software to be installed at the same time. At the same time have the ability to lock the machine down preventing the end user from installing additional software.
    Any suggestions???

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

My best recommendation right now is to look at DeployStudio. It does not handle everything you seem to want it to, but is pretty good.

Nothing out there right now in the imaging space will save the data from a computer about to be imaged. Saving the user data (stuff in the users folder) is probably low-hanging fruit that someone will start implementing, but I don't think even the commercial setups handle that at the moment.

And as to carrying across all the applications... that is a really difficult thing once you start putting in messy things like Adobe or Microsoft apps. And trying to have that all automated to pull across apps is probably just going to result in a huge automated mess maker.

If you are looking in that direction I would look at creating what I call a MegaPackage. Take all of the settings that you want, and all the applications, and put them all in .pkg installers. Then wrap all of that up in a single .mpkg and you have a tool to install your "image". It will ignore anything else and just enforce what you want. It is really nice in that the same package usually works with new hardware, and often survives even major version changes of MacOS X.

And as to locking down the computer, that really is not the domain of an imaging solution, but if you are looking to do that, then I would sugest you look into Radmind. It is really powerful, and with some creativity you can keep computers exactly like an image (with exceptions you define). But it is a huge learning curve, so don't take it lightly. And even with Radmind you are going to need