Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Hi, I'm not "entirely" new to Macs -- it's just been years since I messed with them. Want to pick up a 20" or 24" iMac, but I'm about to buy a house, so instead, I decided to spend just enough to get my feet wet with OS X to see if I really like it.

I recently bought two used G4s, and have used the parts to put together one machine: G4/1.0GHz, 768MB RAM, 10 GB HD, Radeon 9000 Pro (64MB, AGP), DVD burner. One of the G4s came with Panther installed on the tiny 10GB HD. I have a brand new 250GB HD I want to use, but is there any (preferably, cheap/free) imaging software that will allow me to transfer the OS and apps over to the newer drive? I asked for the OS CD from the eBayer I got it from, but he said there was none. Normally that would have raised a flag but it seemed like 75% of the Macs I was looking at on eBay didn't come with the OS CD, just it preinstalled on the HD.

I'm trying to avoid dropping money on a brand new copy of Tiger since that would defeat the whole purpose of spending as little as possible to try out a Mac again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.