iMail messaging rules

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jtrainor56, Jan 30, 2016.

1. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I have five different email accounts that I manage through iMail using rules. I was wondering if there was a way to put the rules listed in alphabetical order. Having to make additions or deletions to rules gets to be a pain with them not being in alphabetical order. I assume that there may be a file that I can edit but have no clue. Thanks for any assistance.

Joe

iMac running Yosemite

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

In OS X Mail, open preferences and go to the Rules tab... then just drag them around as you see fit. But understand, doing that may also affect the results, as the incoming mail gets processed through the rules from the top down... so you may see unexpected results in your mail folders, etc.

The rules "live" here, but they are essentially .xml files, so it can be a pain to edit manually, and you can hose the file up easily/badly:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/SyncedRules.plist <-- previous versions of OS X

~/Library/Mail/V3/MailData/SyncedRules.plist <-- El Capitan

3. jtrainor56 thread starter macrumors regular

jtrainor56

Thanks dwfaust, my rules are not interdependent on one another, I just get so many emails from different photography forums I belong to as well as photographers and suppliers. Some get grouped together and dumped into a common mailbox, I'm just trying to not duplicate rules.
    ~Joe