iMail problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dwynnejr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. dwynnejr macrumors newbie

So, I am a first-time mac user. Just got my first one last week. Anyways...

I started using the apple mail program. I added my gmail account and it began by retriving about 1500 emails from gmail. Then if began retreiving emails about 50 at a time, then 25, then 10, and now it's downloading 1 email at a time. Right now i'm at 11,000 emails, and i still have one year until all emails are downloaded (meaning the emails have downloaded up until 1/1/08).

why is it not downloading all my emails at once? why has it slowly downloaded less and less emails? can i increase the amount of emails it downloads?

Thanks for the help!

2. dwynnejr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing? Also, i doubt it's a POP problem because I am actually getting mail.

Thanks again.

3. cricketbird macrumors member

Do you WANT all your old emails on your hard drive? It might make more sense to leave them (at least the old ones) in Gmail online. You can reset the date that Gmail downloads back to in your by going to settings at gmail.com.

Not sure about the slowdown. Maybe Gmail assigns lower priority to older messages?

4. dwynnejr thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't want them all downloaded all to my computer, so i will take advantage of that tip right away. however, how can i remove them all from my hard drive w/out the mail being deleted from my gmail account also?

also, i don't think the priority thing could be correct, because it started w/the oldest emails and has been getting slower the newer the emails.

thanks for that first suggestion though!

5. cricketbird macrumors member

You can set more options for how Mail treats Gmail in Mail's preferences (Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors and Advanced tabs