iMail vs Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kitki83, Apr 25, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Well today my Outlook in windows gave me "Unable to load Default email" to me I dont know what it may cause it because I never opened outlook in 2weeks. So then I think about it, I got the back up emails I have and decided to transfer email accounts to Apple.

My question is what is recommended or stable or easily to organize between Mail and Thunderbird. I will be using Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo (Just to read) and gmail (main email). I would like my mail to be separated among each account or an option for Mail server sorting in the inbox.

So, what is suited for my needs, and thats has calendar, contacts, basically has to be very similar to outlook(except the part where it crashed corrupting all my files).

Thank You
    Rene Martin

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Hmm, i've only ever used Mail, and that works fine for me using hotmail

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I use Mail on a daily basis, for 3 different email accounts, including gmail. It works perfectly.

As for contacts and calendaring, I'd suggest iCal and Address Book, since they are so nicely integrated with the rest of OS X.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Mail does not have a calendar or address book built in, but it's all integrated with OS X's Address Book and iCal apps.

you might be interested in using Gmail as your client. you can use Gmail to access your other e-mail accounts and send mail from your other accounts through Gmail. all of this is available through Settings > Accounts (in Gmail). Gmail has the address book (Contacts) and calendar (Google Calendar) integrated with their e-mail, too. right now, though, the only desktop client i know of for Gmail is in private beta (Mailplane), so all your mail would be online.

Mail is good, though, if you like having a desktop client. very easy to set up and use and integrates well with other apps in OS X. i've not used Thunderbird because i don't care for Mozilla's offerings for the Mac.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I use Mail for my .Mac and my school's email. I have lots of options to just view my .Mac, just my school or both emails all together.

I use iCal and address book for the rest.

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I use Thunderbird because sometimes Mail does not download all my messages, and I get kind of mad. They're not sorted to junk or deleted, they just aren't downloaded.

7. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks you guys let me know how Mail works, and I totally fergot ical and contacts are all separate but working together software

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

And I actually like this- mail doesn't load the images on my junk mail unless I want to see them or I clarify it as not junk...then it will load the images. THat way I don't get to see what type of man I supposedly CAN be in a public place!:eek:

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u need extra addons to use thunderbird or mail.app to get mail from hotmail. which does not support email client other than outlook.

Thunderbird has build in addressbook, and it has an extension called lightening, which is a calender, but none of them is integrated with OSX. rather, they are cross-platform

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Anyone Know How To Setup A Yahoo Address In Mail Or Thurderbird?

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone help me setup a friend's Yahoo mail in OS X Mail please? If this is too off topic I will start a new thread. Thanks. :)

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the base yahoo email account doesn't allow for pop access. you need to have a mail plus account for this feature.