iMAME .. has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 22, 2011.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I was curious if anyone has tried to sideload a rom into it yet? I was thinking that an occasional Super Mario Bros game or two on my ipad might be a fun thing to have.

2. matt90036 macrumors regular

yeah it works well but I'm newer generation and I don't know any good games. can you give me some titles? also not all games work maybe 50% of my ROMS.

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well honestly, most of the games are pretty bad by today's standards. It's more about the nostalgia so I'm not sure I could recommend anything offhand. Where are you getting the roms for it? Is there some website? From what I can tell, the roms have to be in a zip format .... is that correct?

4. matt90036 macrumors regular

5. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see that it's been removed already. Probably just as well. From what I've seen in other blogs and websites, it was a very old mame emulator and wasn't compatible with a lot of roms out there right now. I couldn't get one to even load.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until I can play super mario bros on my ipad.

6. drenline, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Is your ipad jailbroken? If so, download snes4iphone or snes ADX in cydia and you'll be able to play super mario bros on it.

I tried installing the roms but I can't get it to load, I jumped the gun and downloaded a bundle pack off cydia which was too many unwanted roms so I uninstalled the bundle and lost the default roms, now when I rescan my roms and add new roms, it shows up "NO AVAILABLE GAMES FOUND".

Anyone know a fix?

EDIT: NVM, apparently the cydia bundle pack of roms overwrote the imame4all original app from apple's app store, so the roms were placed in a different folder.

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If your jailbroken you can even use a wii controller to play some roms, I have to admit playing super mario bros from my lap tray on the plane with a wii mote gets a lot of funny looks of "how is he doing that?".

8. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've given up on imame and deleted it. And no, I'm not jailbroken, but I believe I will when it comes out for 5.

9. mdhwoods macrumors regular

mame works fine on the ipad2. i was playing mario, donkey kong and galaga just yesterday. The biggest thing i found is that the rom versions 375b work the best and they must be in zip format.

good luck

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, 375b ROMs work. iMAME works wonderfully on the iPad2 with the iCade (my wife gave me an iCade for Christmas). iMAME+iCade+iPad2 = authentic arcade experience as indicated by the same sorry scores now as I used to get nearly 30 years ago. :D

11. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried installing the Mario roms from this site....

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/

Which I believe does have the proper 375b zip files. None of the Super Mario games seemed to work. Imame didn't recognize them even after going into settings and scanning for new roms.

Here's an example of Super Mario Bros 3 at that site...

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/...BL1N1cGVyJTIwTWFyaW8lMjBCcm90aGVycyUyMDMuemlw

Is this the wrong type of file?

12. mdhwoods macrumors regular

I am not going to link to the correct directory but that is not it. look for roms then mame then 37b5 directory. you should find what you are looking for there.

13. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it. Thanks.

14. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I got an icade....found a rom 2 gig rom set....and its amazing. Yeah alot of New roms dont work but MOST pre 1992 do work and its amazing. Im having a nostalgia overload. Finally get to play slapfight again : )

If anyone has got any really cool modern stuff PM me : )
    paulr@me.com