iPad IMAO iPad Air screen is better than iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Charliebird, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I sold my iPad 4 in September and opened my iPad Air a couple days ago. I'm finding unexpectedly that the iPad Air screen looks a lot better to me than my old iPad 4. The colors really seem to pop on it and it looks very bright and clear. I originally started with an iPad 3 and I thought my iPad 4 screen was a small step back. Now my iPad Air screen really looks like an improvement over the 3 and 4. I haven't done a side by side comparison so I'm only working from memory. Anyone else have similar or differing experiences?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have an iPad 3 and Air side by side, IMO the Air screen does look brighter and sharper.

Comic books, especially, look sharp on the Air in landscape, two-page spread view. Up until now, I've always read comics in portrait view because the two-page view looked fuzzy. With the Air, it was very pleasant to read comics in two-page view like they were originally designed to be viewed.

3. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

The screen is blowing me away.. Just got mine today.

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

It's an IGZO screen with tighter spacing to the glass, lower reflectivity, and more even backlighting. It matches the brightness of the iPad 3/4 displays even though it has less than half the LED backlights.

I upgraded from a 3 and I definitely see the difference. Reading books and websites are easier on the eyes.

5. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

I love mine. There is a very slight light leakage when put to the ultimate test but it's nothing you can see under normal use, so I'm happy! Colors look Great! :)

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Just comparing the iPad 3/4/Air side by side and sharpness is the same. Ever since the iPad 3, I've always read comics in two-page spread and it didn't look fuzzy to me. My iPad Air appears to be brighter and has better white level compared to my iPad 3&4, though.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your description is probably more accurate. My guess is that the better white level is making the contrast between white background and black ink of my comics clearer, giving me the impression that they are sharper.

8. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

My iAir's pixels are definitely sharper than my iPad 3's pixels. The 3's pixels are more rounded off, and their borders are fuzzier / ill-defined. The iAir's pixels are tighter fitted like they're squeezing together, and their edges are very sharp.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

You can see the pixels on the letter W on the air, you couldn't on the 3rd gen. Both with iOS 7

10. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

My 3's pixels look as if they've been outlined by a small child making jagged scribbles, while the Air's pixels look to be perfectly symmetric and identical. Anyone else have the same issue?

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yes i agree and i have done side by side. Got my air today and its a PERFECT one, yay after returning 3 and 4's.
    No light leakage thank heavens and no HEAT.
    Good colour, white is white no pink/yellow tinge or grey.
    Speakers good, better that 4.
    Size is great.
    wifi faster.
    I knew the screen feels different as i had a mini, although 4 to air screen is not really noticeable as 4 to mini was. I like it. Better than the thick glass. Feels like a big mini to hold.

Like the smart cover too especially the magnet holding to the back.

I paid $49 more to get from Apple knowing i had the Apple holiday return till 7th January after my other returns i went through.

At this point its a keeper just got to sell the 4 now, my wifes iPad 3 has a better screen and no heat compared to the 2 x 4's i had.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'd have to agree with this overall. It's more even better blacks and feels more crisp despite the same res..not sure why that is.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Everything is done so right for the iPad Air. Definitely in love with it more than my iPhone 5s.

14. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Seems the same to me.

Retina no improvement on previous generations.

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Get a refund then :eek:

16. bobright macrumors 601

Lol yes it's not just you the Air screen looks so much better that was one of the first things that stood out to me think I even made a thread about it on release day

17. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Idk if it's just me but do the smaller bezels make the iPad airs screen feel and look a lot bigger?

18. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

+1 = YEP, slightly better colours too compared to my 3 Gen

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Comparing the iPad 4 and Air side by side in bright lighting I really can't appreciate any difference. Both are great.

20. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I couldn't say, since I gave my iPad 4 to a relative who couldn't afford one.

I'm glad you decided to open the box, Charlie, and enjoy what I think is a great tablet. :)

21. Charliebird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm glad too!!!

22. bobright macrumors 601

You the poster that was scared to open your boxed up iPad and thought of returning it? Lol