IMAP accounts in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Mar 10, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

So I changed my old POP accounts to IMAP to try it out and keep messages stored on my server. Problem is that now when I send a message from those account they are not stored anywhere. I do need to keep copies of my sent messages. Anyone know how to do this?

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Just set it up to BCC you on all emails, and put a filter to save any mail from you in the Sent mail folder marking as read.

3. djsound, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

....no idea how to do that =)

..maybe the POP account were better for me.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

All are on hostgator. When I log into my webmail there are no sent messages saved either..

6. gameface macrumors 6502

Mail prefs > Composing > 3rd down is "automatically CC msyelf". Turn this on and select it to BCC. Then go to prefs > rules and set up a rule that any message from your email address (the BCC) gets moved to a certain folder. Simple.

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

8. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I did all that and am after week of using IMAP account sitting here wondering..."what is the point of IMAP accounts?" My POP accounts were fine...they acted normal. When I send a email it went to sent. When I got one it went to inbox. So easy!!...With IMAP accounts there is so much configuration involved......can someone tell me what the whole point of an IMAP account is?

9. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

keeps the files server side to allow more device independence.

10. ooninay macrumors member

You may need to tell Mail to keep sent messages on the server. Sometimes (maybe depending on your mail host?) it keeps them locally instead. If you have a list of folders on the server showing up in Mail (and I think you should if you've set it up right), then you can select the server-side folder for your sent messages, then from the Mailbox menu, select "Use This Mailbox for...", then pick "Sent" from the flyout menu. I think maybe the reason Mail doesn't do this automatically is that different mail servers have different names for that folder (e.g., "Sent", "Sent Messages", "Sent Items", etc.)

11. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I was under the impression that using an IMAP account I could access my emails from my phone/computer etc. and that the emails stayed on the server. Anytime I open a IMAP email from Mail.app they are removed from the server. I would like them to stay on the server..

12. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

13. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Where? there is nothing to change on hostgator. The only thing I see on mail. app to change would be "Automatically synchronize changed mailboxes" and I dont know the settings for that..........IMAP path prefix. No idea what that is

14. SpiceGrrl macrumors member

"can someone tell me what the whole point of an IMAP account is?"

If your emails are important to you, like if there is any reason at all why you want to keep certain emails for years and years, even as you change computers and add/subtract devices, IMAP is critical, because with POP, you have to physically move those important emails from the old computer to the new one and it is a huge pain in the rear. Plus, only with IMAP can you access your emails from multiple devices. POP means each email is like a physical thing that resides only in one place. I think of POP emails as golf balls arriving at my computer through a physical tube. Once the ball drops into my computer, that's where it is, period. It is nowhere else. There are no backups.

Each person is different, of course. Maybe you don't need to save important emails for years. But I definitely do, so for me, IMAP is absolutely essential.

Hope this helps.

15. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

mail.app absolutely doesn't delete read mail off the server automatically. I'd guess there's something weird going on with your imap server.

16. mgkimsal macrumors member

I've been running my own mail servers for 12 years with a variety of sendmail, qmail and postfix, and have *never* had the problem you're describing, but I've seen it on some low-end hosts. I can't say for sure this is a hostgator problem, but it sounds like it. They probably remove the data regardless, because they don't want people clogging up their mailservers which are probably hosting thousands of other accounts. If each person left 2 years of mail/spam on those servers, it'd kill them.

Again, can't say for *certain* this is how hostgator is configured, but it would not surprise me in the least.

Technically, the protocol part of IMAP is working, but the storage behaviour is changed to be like POP anyway. Again, check with hostgator, but if you really want IMAP, be prepared to move at least your mail hosting.

17. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Figured it out. In "advanced" I needed to check off "Automatically Synchronize Changed Mailboxes" and put in the IMAP path prefix. Now it works...