IMAP folder subscription?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by juan9999, Jun 30, 2007.

1. juan9999 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to do this or is this another limitation we have to deal with ...

2. juan9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone get something other than their inbox when syncing with an IMAP folder?

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I finally got mail setup last night and all my IMAP folders show up.

4. juan9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Was there anything particular you did? Do you have just the 4 standard folders, or any custom ones?

When I synced my config from my Mac, those folders got 4, when I added one manually on the iphone, that only got an inbox... I'm missing my other folders (e.g. archive...)

5. StolenPhone macrumors newbie

On the IMAP setup screen, there is an Advanced button. That will take you to a screen where you can set up your server side Drafts/Sent/Trash (Deleted Messages) folders. I recommend you d this or those will not get saved on the server.

6. juan9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I've done that, but it's my user created folders that I can't get to sync... e.g. "To Do" "Receipt" "Iphone"

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No I did not do anything special. One of my accounts has like 75 folders I have made and they all showed up.

I set up a second new account to use to filter and forward my mail for the phone and all the folders I have set up on that show up too.

8. SamMiller0 macrumors member

SamMiller0

I had to enter "INBOX" in my IMAP path prefix on the advanced mail settings creen on my iPhone. Now I can see all the subfolders of my mail account.

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Ah that makes sense. I suspect mine was already set up that way.

IE my imap was set up with the default settings.

10. nabeelfarooqui macrumors newbie

i have set up a folder on my mail.app but my iphone wont follow the same rules that it does on my mail cliet and just pushes everything to inbox... lemme tell you exactly what's happening... i have my personal .mac mail and then i have my university mail... i have setup a rule in mail that whenever a mail is forwarded from my university mail to my .mac mail, then it should put it into my university folder )located on .mac server and not on the mail.app)... works fine in mail.app but not in the webmail cliet for .mac or on the iphone... any help in fixing these 2 problems... thanks

11. cquaade macrumors newbie

Managing syncing of IMAP folders?

On my iPhone, I have successfully set up IMAP with Mac.web, with Gmail, and with Exchange at my office. I see all the custom folders that I have created on my computer for those accounts. However, to avoid clutter on my iPhone screen, I would like to sync -- and see -- only a limited number of these custom folders. How can this be managed? Prior, I've used DataViz' RoadSync on my earlier Nokia N73, where I in the terminal client could choose what folders to sync. This I'm not able to find for any of my IMAP accounts on the iPhone.

Any clues?

12. siiduberoi macrumors newbie

Re: IMAP folder subscription

I want to echo what cquaade says. I routinely archive old mail and have been doing so for the last 9 years. I have far too many IMAP folders showing up - much more than I need on a daily basis on my iPhone.

Is there a way to adjust folder subscriptions? This is one of the main advantages to IMAP (over POP3), so I'm surprised we can't do it.

Thanks in advance.

13. jetkins macrumors newbie

Hi, folks. I just caved in to the Borg and bought an iPhone 3GS, and I'm striking this exact same problem of unwanted IMAP folders in the iPhone Mail app. Went searching for a resolution, and Google brought me here; was this ever resolved, or are there other mail clients that folks suggest which offer more functionality and customization than Apple's built-in app?

14. stevemorales macrumors newbie

Hey there, I had the same issue with my IMAP service on the iPhone, it turns out, you need to create all message rules online. I use bluehost as a hosting service and they allow you to create message rules that apply to all messages to specific folders directly on the server so all messages are organized this way no matter where you open your mail. (PC, MAC, iPhone, etc). Let me know if this helps, I would be glad to elaborate a bit more on this.