IMAP Gmail with iPhone has a flaw - anyone know a fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

So i noticed earlier that if you have labels(folders on your iPhone) set up on your Gmail account, and have the labels set up so that incoming mail is automatically archived and has the label applied to it, iphone mail.app does not recognize any new mail applying to that label. Therefore, it doesnt give you a "new mail notification" bubble on the home screen. Anyone discover this yet and know of a possible workaround?

2. hamedatl macrumors member

That's not a flaw with Mail. If you have the filter set to archive the email, it won't show up as you having new mail even in Google's own Notifier app.

3. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Really...Good to know...Kind of annoying...But good to know anyway...Thanks!

4. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

Kind of annoying? You're the one who sets up your own filters! If you set GMail to auto-Archive (i.e. skip the Inbox), isn't the whole idea to not be bothered with that message?

I'm a little confused. If you wanted the message to shop up in your Inbox (both in web GMail and via IMAP), why not just have the filter apply a label (but NOT skip the Inbox)?

5. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Because THEN, I'd have clutter in my main inbox....I know its confusing, but heres my deal...MSU Mail and LCC mail for me have to be seperated...As does mail from Apple and some newsletters I am suscribed to. To do this nicely, I applied labels and set up a filter so Gmail intelligently gets any mail from MSU for example and puts in the respective folder without showing up in my main inbox. Thru my computer, I can easily see any new email applied under any filter on the left in Gmail. Yet, this keeps the clutter (disorganization) outta my main inbox. I was looking to kinda emulate this on the iPhone, but I guess it wont be possible.