IMAP mail server on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max2, May 5, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

I keep getting duplicate folders and stuff when using a IMAP mail server. Anyway to prevent this ? I use Cox for my ISP.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cox has default IMAP folders and the iPhone has default IMAP folders it creates.

I know of no way to eradicate either. I also use Cox.

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502

You configure on the iPhone what folders they map to on the server under advanced account settings.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is correct.

But you cannot delete the default folders Cox provides and you cannot delete the default IMAP folders iOS provides.

5. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Really, that sounds strange. Not even from another client?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can tell my iPhone to use the IMAP folders that Cox provides and it will do so. But when I see the folder list, those default Apple IMAP folders remain.

Unless there is a way to delete the default folders off the iPhone? Or through the webmail section on Cox's website?

7. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Sure it will not delete them automatically, but you can do it manually from the iPhone or another client. On the iPhone:
    - go to mail app
    - Go all the way to the top (left)
    - At the bottom each account are listed, where you can access all folders each account may have
    - Select the Cox account
    - Click edit top right corner
    - Click the folder (Apple call them mailboxes!?!) you want to delete
    - Press delete at the bottom

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…

Thanks. I didn't realize I could do that. I'm going to guess that the folders I deleted are the default Apple ones and not Cox's IMAP default folders though.

Also, even though I deleted them from the account, if I got back in to Settings>Mail, Contacts and Calendars and select my Cox account (Advanced) and look through there the folders I deleted are listed. Guess those must be the defaults.

9. Significant1 macrumors 6502

My guess is, that you deleted Apple's default folders, but that setting still gives you Apple's way as an option. I have not tested myself.