IMAP Push on iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LixLev, Jun 24, 2011.

1. LixLev macrumors regular

I have a IMAP account from a private company which Apple would class as 'other' when it comes to setting it up on my iPhone. On my computer the messages always get pushed through as and when they are received, however on my iPhone I have always only been able to have the setting as Fetch or Manual, even when Push email is turned on.

I know up till now Apple has only supported Push for Exchange, MobileMe and Yahoo, but I was wondering if anyone who has used the iOS 5 beta knew if this had changed to allow 'other' IMAP accounts to have push email?

2. MarChr macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, I guess. I have a mail-account which I have to add through other mail accounts in the settings. It recognizes my account and fills out the mail server addresses. BUT: It just uses pop mail servers, even though I like to use IMAP instead. And seems like there is no option in iOS 5 Beta to change this :mad:

3. profets macrumors 68040

That was one of the first things I thought to check when I installed OS5... And unfortunately no push through IMAP.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

IMAP doesn't notify anything when there is new mail so there is no real hope of getting push to work with it, the first step necessary isn't there.

Setting up as exchange is pretty much the only hope.

5. Tolien macrumors member

Actually, if the client and server both support IDLE you do get push IMAP...but the iOS mail client doesn't support it (though OSX Mail.app does).

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I handle my own mail using Lion Server. I know that when I set up my accounts on my phone using IMAP push shows up an an option. There does not seem to be any kind of setting to try and enable it.. it seems like the mail.app just needs to detect that it is available.

I know that doesn't really offer much help, but it does confirm that Push does work using iOS5

7. profets, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

profets macrumors 68040

The feature definitely exists, just that Apple hasn't added it: IMAP_IDLE

----------

That's very interesting.. The mail server on Lion is strictly set as imap?

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Sort of.

1. Forward all your mail to your new icloud/me.com account.
    2. Configure push on it
    3. Disable mail sync on your current IMAP account.
    4. configure the icloud/me.com account to use the IMAP outgoing server.

BAM.
    Plus you could

5. configure icloud/me.com to also use your other outgoing mail server and identity.
    6. Have great seamless syncronization of contacts, mail, calendar and a decent webmail GUI.

You can probably guess how I roll with my custom domain setup ;-)

9. profets macrumors 68040

This thread was more about whether iOS 5 brought IMAP_IDLE function to the imap mail accounts.

Besides, we've already had google/gmail to setup multiple accounts, forwarding push and it can be used an way more platforms than me/iCloud.