IMAP Subscription Management in Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swwack91, Oct 15, 2009.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I recently set up Apple Mail with a new account, this new account is an IMAP account for school. The school has a bunch of public folders set up and I really don't want those public e-mails to be contributing to my "new mail" count or downloading to my computer AT ALL.

I searched the Mail help menu and it says that you can control which folders you can subscribe to by going into the "Get Account Info..." menu. However, when I got to the "Subscriptions" tab, none of the folders load. It's just an empty list.

Ideas? Do I need to set up the account as an Exchange IMAP instead of a regular IMAP since it is an Exchange account? What advantages are there in using an Exchange IMAP account rather than regular IMAP? :confused:

Thanks for any information any of you can provide!!

2. devburke Guest

I don’t know much about Exchange, but I believe folder subscriptions only work for it, not for regular IMAP.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I changed the account type to an Exchange IMAP instead of just a regular IMAP and I still can't mange the subscriptions. The subscriptions tab is still empty.

4. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have an empty Subscription List in the Account Info dialog box as well. I will create a new thread to gather tips to help organize IMAP folders, because it's a royal pain. :(