IMAP troubles...please help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ckeck, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I'm really hoping that someone can give me some insight to these problems as I would really like to get IMAP working properly (I use multiple computers throughout the day)...

I tried IMAP several months ago while my email was hosted with another company and could not get certain things to sync properly, so I just gave up. I have since switched to a new hosting platform and I am STILL having the same issues...

1) I cannot get the SENT messages to store on the server properly. My mail account already has a sent folder created but Mail decides to make its own, although it won't store the sent messages in either. This feature is enabled properly.

2) Mail will not store DELETED items in the 'Trash' folder on the server. It creates its own "Deleted Items" folder just like it does for "Sent Messages" but does not use either folder. This option is enabled properly.

3) Mail is not using the SPAM folder already in place but creates its own. This new spam folder seems to work but still annoying.

Has anyone run into these issues and if so how did you get them resolved? Thank you so much for any insight!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've always seen the same set of behaviors for IMAP, sadly... I'm not sure there's a way to fix any of them. My imperfect solutions have always been to (1) periodically archive my sent mail in the IMAP sent items box to an "On My Mac" Sent Archive folder; (2) I never delete anything except through Mail.app (i.e. I don't delete when using Groupwise, or now Outlook, at work, and I don't delete on my Blackberry, so that the Mail.app is the only authoritative trash folder, and all others are empty; (3) I usually disable server-side spam filtering, but primarily because I use a very liberal definition of junk mail (I treat it like my junk mail at home -- it includes things like advertisements from H&M or Express or Guess or Apple that I actually want to read, but don't consider high priority -- because of this, I don't want the server to suppress delivery or blacklist them).

Those probably don't help, but I've never seen solutions to these issues... the buttons in the configuration for things like syncing trash never seem to work for me.

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks for the feedback...but what really pisses me off about this is Outlook works PERFECT using IMAP...this has to be an issue with Mail.app

I would have thought it could be the mail provider but now after using two separate providers with no change I am doubtful that has any effect...

Anyone report this to Apple??

4. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

This was a frustrating issue for me using Mail.app and IMAP until I discovered a slightly hidden option to define which folders Mail.app should be storing the different types of messages in. Select your Sent Items folder, for example, and go to the "Mailbox" menu. From there there is an option towards the bottom that says "Use this Mailbox For..." and select the appropriate setting from the next menu. You can do this for the other types of messages (Junk, Trash, etc.) as well using Mail.app.

:)

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks so much! I just had another friend at work let me in on this little secret and will be trying it momentarily.

If this works I'll be a happy camper!! :D

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd be curious to know if this does what you're looking for also, as I might just implement it myself! :D

7. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Looks like this does the trick! w00t

Thanks so much :D

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you click on the IMAP mailbox and open it up, and find the Sent Items folder inside it (not the one up at the top), and then you right click that and use the "Use this mailbox for..." ? Is that right?

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes