Imation SLC SSD - Highest Priced Drive - Anybody use them?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by go4d1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. go4d1 macrumors newbie

A 120gb Imation SSD SLC Drive goes for almost $2,000, yet they seem very slow (Sequential Access Read 130MB/s) as compared to Intel (280MB/s)

You usually get what you pay for. Anybody see any value in Imation that I'm missing.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

SLC will last 10x as long as MLC (used in most consumer drives) and can only store one bit per cell instead of two or three, therefore, they are more expensive to produce and typically reserved for high write enterprise applications.

3. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Looks like crap.. and Imation website has a bunch of government sales stuff all over it. It's probably $2,000 because its only customer is the dumb governments and they pay $5k for a hammer and $10k for toilets...

The Intel SSD is a fine product, the OWC Mercury Extreme is even better (There is also a Corsair that is the same specs as the OWC model)

I've had the Intel 2nd generation 160GB drive for just over a year, purchased it 08/27/2009, and I've been so happy with it. The write aren't as good as the OWC, but day-to-day I don't really notice. Plus its 160GB, whereas the OWC is 120 or 240, so the Intel falls in a nice price/storage-size point.

That being said, I did purchase 2 OWC raid models for my new MacPro, but I am more than happy with the Intel in my Macbook Pro and I would purchase from Intel again.

4. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

Yea, definitely, on top of the fact the there are plenty of other brands SLC models that perform better and are cheaper, the Intel SSD-E model, for example.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're going to get a SLC drive, get the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro; for $2000 you can get their 400GB model with a Sandforce processor.