Imation SuperDisk Drive on 10.4.10

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Halcyon, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I know this is a really old unit, but I have a client with a whole bunch of floppy disks that have vital info (plain text files) that we need to move into a Mac. I know I can go the PC way, but there are over 2,000 floppy's to extract info from, so if a direct route is available it will indeed save a lot of time.

I plugged the Imation SuperDrive unit (usb port) to my iMac and the computer does recognize the unit (at least it does show with System Profiler) but the disk icon will not appear on the desktop. The green light on the front of the unit will just blink and all seems to get stuck right there, as the disk will not eject by pressing on the button and the paper-clip must be used to eject the disk.

Any suggestions as to how to make this unit work with this OS on an intel Mac will be greatly appreciated. As a second option, any suggestions on other floppy units that work with this setup will be much appreciated also.

TIA

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you're trying to read 800 KB diskettes, it won't work on Mac OS X. The 1.44 MB diskettes or the SuperDisk cartridges do seem to work, but I haven't used it for a while.

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. All Disks are 1.44 MB. From what I've been able to gather through other forums, either the unit's reading heads might be very dirty, misaligned or the unit is broken.

Thanks again.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are the diskettes any good?

5. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502