Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
So I've got this old imation SuperDisk Drive, I think it's version 1. It takes the imation 120MB disks and regular floppy disks. imation website says that I don't need additional software to run the drive, but the disks don't load. It powers up and responds to a disk being inserted, but then it goes quiet.

I'm trying to use it with my brand new 15inch AluBook. Any ideas? Thanks, guys.

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
i think it has something to do with the computer going to sleep. the first revision of that drive has some problem with the computer waking up and recognizing it. more specifically, i think it has more to do with the cable. i had one and i think i remember reading something on this--that is where i'm getting this all from.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
It doesn't have to do with the drive not recognizing the computer after wake up, it doesn't recognize at all. When I insert a disk it whirrs and then becomes perfectly silent like it is off. Now, I managed to get a disk stuck in the drive, and when I jiggle the disk it whirs for awhile, then goes silent again. No lights, nothing, the power cord is firmly in as are the USB ends...

Do I have a sick drive??

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If you can eject the disk using the button on the drive once the disk has been loaded, detach and re-attach the USB cable. It should then find the disk.

Also, don't try to use 720KB diskettes. Unless Apple has changed the driver, it has not supported that diskette format since Mac OS X.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
I have the Imation SuperDisk drive connected to my iMac G3 DV400 (running 10.2.8) right now! I have had success using both the normal, Mac formatted floppies and the iMation SuperDisk Floppies. Here is what I would recommend for flawless performance from this drive.
First if you have a stuck diskette...
1. If you have a diskette stuck in the drive, drag the SuperDisk icon from your desktop into the trash. If that doesn't eject the disk, logoff of your computer, unplug the USB cable from your computer that is hooked to the SuperDisk and locate the disk eject button on the front right hand side of the SuperDisk Drive. If pushing this button does not eject the disk, unfold a paper clip and insert it into the tiny hole in the end of the eject button.
IF THIS FAILS TO EJECT THE DISK YOUR DRIVE MAY BE FRAGGED...

If there is no disk in the drive...
2. with no disk in the drive the most consistent, trouble free method I have found to have my computer find my SuperDisk is to wait until after I have inserted a disk of known origin to connect my USB cable. If I connect it within about thirty seconds or so after the drive reads the contents of the disc, the SuperDisk icon always appears on my desktop, ready for my commands.
I hope this is of some help to you. I think the SuperDisk is pretty cool, although it is slow by some standards, and a bit noisy (especially when you are trying to be very quiet!!), it has been well beyond the needs of backing up my personal files and work files as well. I have several years of my work as a writer on a single SuperDisk, with room for two or three more to go!!!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
The same problem..

dude, i have exactly the same problems as you mention above. I have tried everything, but nothing happens. This was already two years ago, working on os 9, since then it is collecting dust... I even road emails to the supportdesk of imation, but no reply. Good luck with yours, and if you ever get it working, please post it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.