I'me Stuck! (Wireless Network/Internet Help)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkanddivine, Aug 7, 2007.

1. darkanddivine macrumors member

Hello! I've got a question about my internet connection and wireless setup. I'm currently on what according to most of the forums describe as the worst UK IP for mac, that being Tiscali. After numerous attempts to install and setup my USB modem for mac I gave up and decided the Wireless router would perhaps be a better option, and at least that would mean I could lose all the wires kicking about all over the place.

My friend was selling a Linksys WRT54GL, which I bought however in my haste I neglected to remember that my current modem is USB based! This means I have a router which should be great but I need to change the modem I am on. Is there a good way to go about this, or can I simply buy a Ethernet modem and have it work? Or are there any adapters that I can use?

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I don't know about your cable provider's policies about exchanging cable modems, but you would definetely need a cable modem with an ethernet port to hook that into the router.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Think you may be making this just a bit too complicated. I would ditch the whole set up you have, sell what you can and get yourself an all in one DSL modem and wireless router. An example of this is the Netgear DG834PN.

Once you have something like that then all you will need to do is plug it in, log into the websetup through safari, (dont use the CD installers, they are generally for windows and are also useless) the address for this will be with the router generally its 192.168.0.1 or along those lines. When you are in it will ask for your Tiscalli Username and Password and it will do the rest for you.

It does seem a bit of a shame to get rid of the stuff you have but in the long run I think it would save you a lot of hassle just having to set up one device rather than two!!

Hope that helps a bit :)