IMEI ban list should be made

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr5owner, Jun 23, 2007.

1. pr5owner macrumors 65816

as a security measure, apple should have an IMEI ban list on their website, if an iphone gets stolen it should be posted, anyone selling an iphone should be obligated to give out the IMEI or post it.

of course you must submit proof of purcahse before you can post a stolen IMEI.

if the seller of a stolen iphone does not give out the IMEI i wouldnt buy it and maybe even report the seller.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That wouldn't work. People would just post fake numbers that weren't on the list.

3. mpw Guest

But that would be lying!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You would purchase from the seller of a stolen iPhone if they did give you the IMEI?

Okay, okay, I'm in a snarky mood.

Can't AT&T kill functionality on iPhones that are reported stolen? Or any GSM phones for that matter that are reported stolen by their owners?

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yes, they already do so you can block incoming/outgoing calls. It's somewhere in the at&t my account pages..

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The battery patent is another way. It lets you call AT&T (if your phone is stolen) and they can turn off the ability for it to charge. That's security!

7. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

did you not read the proof of purchase part?

8. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

ok let me phrase it for you so you can understand

IMEI is blacklisted, seller gives me imei and it shows up on ban list, i dont buy and report seller

IMEI is NOT blacklisted, i concider buying phone

IMEI is not given out, i do not buy phone

9. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

yes until its broken, just like unlocking the phone, they can also steal all your personal data as well since it syncs with your PIM stuff from your mac.
    they also have all your songs.

its like DRM, DRM only hurts the people that pay, not having a battery is only going to hurt the user, not the person that stole it. the person that stole it can also sell it overseas once its unlocked and still make a profit.