IMEI Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fmen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. fmen, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

fmen macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me which imei number I should give the AT&T operator when activating a goPhone sim card that I intend using in my iPhone?

1. goPhone imei
    2. iPhone imei
    3. made up imei

Thanks

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

4. None of the above

IMEI is on the device, SIM cards have their own Serial Numbers. You should go to Settings, general, About on your iPhone and look for the IMEI number and give them that. :)

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I use a gophone sim with a data plan and tether on my iphone 4 and I never had to talk to an operator. This can all be performed online.

4. fmen thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a lapse....sorry. I meant to write imei rather than sim. Now corrected.

But, thanks for the answer.
    I was worried that supplying them with my iPhone IMEI would tip them off to the (mis)use of a gophone contract on an iphone and they might not allow it.

5. fmen thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but did you not have to fill out the IMEI number online to activate service?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

use a dumphone you have laying around to activate the line then just simply put the sim on your iPhone form there on....

7. fmen thread starter macrumors newbie

@Carlanga,

just to be clear, if I activate my dumb gophone, I would have to use the dumbphone's EMEI number correct?
    If so, I understood from other posters that the sim would be locked to the gophone for 6 months and therefore could not be used in the iPhone.

If you have a moment please explain, step by step what worked for you.
    Thanks.

I used to be a medical student who did drink a lot of esspresso

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Do not give them an imei. If you do there is a possibility they will lock the sim to that imei for six months. What I did in the shop was to ask them to activate the sim without an imei because I did not have it. They can and they will activate without imei.

9. fmen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I'll have to go to the different AT&T stores in town, because the first one I tried was adamant about having me bring the phone into the store before he would activate it.

As an alternative, do you know what would happen if I tried activating an ebay bought sim card online using the iPhone's IMEI?

Thanks

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I have done this for my sister when she has come to visit... The way I did it was I went to AT&T and asked for a Prepaid SIM Card (only SIM no phone) and they gave it to me already ready for use. Also, one time I had another sim card activated w/ a gophone (she wanted to use her iPhone though) and what I did is I told the guy in the store that my gophone got damaged and if he could unlock the sim and he did it...