Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filbertmm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
I know this is a niche question, but I thought one of you lovely people may have the answer.

Initially, I wanted to get a T-Mobile phone on the iPhone Upgrade Program. Sadly, Apple only had AT&T phones, so I bought one at full price unlocked and am now using it on T-Mobile. Awesome! So fun!

The thing is, I would way rather be on the Upgrade Program (insurance included, no need to find a seller next year...)

The main issue is that the IMEI is still registered to AT&T, otherwise I would go to Apple and ask to "return and repurchase" this phone using IUP.

I had heard T-Mobile could transfer this IMEI to their ownership now that I was using it with them, but when I called, the representative and her supervisor knew nothing about that.

Have any of you had luck transferring the ownership of an IMEI? How do I do it?

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I know this is a niche question, but I thought one of you lovely people may have the answer.

Initially, I wanted to get a T-Mobile phone on the iPhone Upgrade Program. Sadly, Apple only had AT&T phones, so I bought one at full price unlocked and am now using it on T-Mobile. Awesome! So fun!

The thing is, I would way rather be on the Upgrade Program (insurance included, no need to find a seller next year...)

The main issue is that the IMEI is still registered to AT&T, otherwise I would go to Apple and ask to "return and repurchase" this phone using IUP.

I had heard T-Mobile could transfer this IMEI to their ownership now that I was using it with them, but when I called, the representative and her supervisor knew nothing about that.

Why don't you see if they have the phone in T-Mobile now? It may be easier then doing that even if it's possible.

I can tell you that the turnover at their call center is pretty decent so the chances of you getting someone whose been there long enough to know how, is super slim, even if you escalate to manager.

You may have better luck in the store if they weren't so busy currently with the iPhone sales and what not.

arichy2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017

Just unlock the phone? Go to like unlockradar or something and unlock it. then it should work with tmobile fine.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

If Apple would allow you to return and repurchase the phone under IUP, then why do you think they wouldn't allow you to do so, just because you lit the phone up on T-Mobile?
(me, I'm surprised that they would allow people to do that after the fact at all, but hey, if they are, that's pretty awesome).

You're talking about the phone itself. IMEI really has nothing to do with it. You could as easily say serial number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.