IMEI unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jscarf, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jscarf macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm just curious how anyones attempts have gone in speaking with Apple over the phone. Under any circumstance, has there been any success in obtaining an IMEI unlock from them?

Anyone....anyone?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple will not unlock a phone that was sold locked to AT&T. Only AT&T can do that, and they have decided never to do so..

It is however completely within their control should they decide to do so in the future.

-t

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Unless I'm mistaken, this guy lives in Canada.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If the phone is locked to Rogers or any other Canadian carrier, the answer is still the same. Only the carrier can unlock the phone. Apple will not.

-t

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep Carriers unlock iPhones not Apple the Carrier gives the permission and only then can it be unlocked. there was somebody that had a way around it a few months back for about $200 but that window appears closed now. So it's back to the carrier you go.

6. jscarf thread starter macrumors newbie

As I understood it, the carrier needs to put in the request. Of course I suspect that Apple would never give an unlock away but just wondered if under any circumstance, they made an exception, even for a price. I saw that negri and cutyoursim were doing imei unlocks. too late for that unfortunately.

In Canada, apparently a couple of our carriers will unlock the phone at the end of the 3 year term. One, Telus, will do it after 90 days, but that doesn't include iphone.

Just another Apple guy...thankful for the technology, disheartened by the flexibility.

Cheers

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

no Apple will not unlock with out the Carriers permission even if your super nice to the genus. Best solution IMO sell your iPhone and buy a Factory Unlocked one.