iPhone IMEI Unlocks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Muscle, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Muscle macrumors regular

I see a couple websites offering IMEI unlocks (Gevey for one).

Are these unlocks permanent? Meaning I can update to iOS6, 7, 8 and the phone will be permanently unlocked?

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Yup. I suggest eBay for IMEI unlocks, they're getting cheaper. Got mine a month ago while they were $40, now they're around $15 :p

3. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Of course their is risk it is a scam.
    Read some reviews from prior customers

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

[/COLOR]
    Nope, unlockfusion unlocked my 4S. Ordered on a Friday, got unlocked the following Monday (they don't process on weekends).

7. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

I ordered last night from UnlockFusion as well. Been 12 hours and still waiting for the unlock, but I don't think they process on weekends.

It's $9.74 right now.
    UnlockFusion Ebay

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

We have a whole big thread here almost the same title talking about it and saying which are some good ones. Myself and many others used the unlock club on ebay cheap and fast. Of course there are many good ones and many bad ones.

9. gd6 macrumors member

Unlock Fusion is very reliable, just sometimes takes extra long on weekends.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

11. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

My unlock was just completed after 21 hours. I didn't get the unlock message in iTunes after the restore, but I have signal so it works.

12. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I purchased their service. Received the email. And proceeded to do the backup-restore on iTunes.

1. Backup iPhone ti iCloud
    2. Restore iPhone to factory setting
    3. Couldn't establish a signal so Restored iPhone to backup in #1

iTunes didn't give me a "Congratulations your phone is now unlocked" message. How do I know it worked? I don't have another sim to try it with :confused:

13. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

14. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

I did that, I used unlockfusion as some members suggested. Completed the transaction on ebay yesterday, sent them all the relevant information.

Got an email this morning saying my phone is now unlocked and to backup / restore on iTunes and I should get a message from iTunes saying "Congratulations blah blah blah unlocked"

Never got that message.

[edit] What is the procedure on our side to unlock our phones once the vendor says its unlocked? This is what I did

1. back'd up my phone on iTunes
    2. Restored to factory settings. Couldn't get it to work on AT&T's network (which is the networked I was locked to)
    3. Restored it again to the backup from #1

(all the while my phone is plugged in to iTunes)

Is this the right procedure?

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Attached Files:

16. bmwman3241, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

bmwman3241 macrumors regular

Muscle, go to the website below and type in your IMEI number and check if it shows "Unlocked" and also if it shows your phone is activated.
    http://iphoneox.com

If it is unlocked,
    1. go into iTunes and do a backup
    2. Click restore and wait for that to finish
    3. I went ahead and restored from my backup
    4. I put a different sim in and had signal (never received the "congratulations" message)

17. KiDFuZioN macrumors newbie

Did you do a DFU restore because that was the only time I got the congratulations message. For some reason a regular restore doesn't produce the message.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

that's because a regular restore doesn't require a sim activation, DFU or restoring as new does.

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

An IMEI unlock happens exactly the same way no matter who whitelists your phone with Apple's unlock server, be it AT&T, Apple themselves or a grey market vender.

20. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

You don't even need to do a restore in some cases. Just connect it to iTunes, insert your SIM, wait a minute, and restart the iPhone if needed. I'll test it again, but my 4S didn't need a restore as I was able to switch between AT&T & T-Mobile SIMs.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is in all cases.
    Just deactivate the phone with SAM or Redsn0w, then re-activate with iTunes (sim must be in the phone).

22. DigitalDawn macrumors regular

This might be obvious, but after deactivating with SAM, what do I need to select in iTunes to reactivate??

Will I have to restore from a backup?

23. ckmoose macrumors newbie

I did two and one said it was unlocked and the other didn't. They both were unlocked though. Both were carrier unlocked.

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Put an active or inactive sim in the phone, plug it into iTunes, select it in the left panel.

25. pacnorth206 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if these unlocks (Gevey, UnlockFusion) work with Iphone 4's locked to carriers other than AT&T? I bought my Iphone 4 while living in Japan and it is locked to Softbank. I am currently using a GEVEY ultra chip to use the phone in the US, but would like to unlock it permanently.