Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickthebrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hi there! I have a 4s and am wondering if anyone has had success imessaging a foreign device from the US. Specifically a uk iPhone. A lot of my friends are in the uk. Is there a right way to store their number? I know for sure that they have the 4s.

Cant seem to get their number to 'turn blue'.

Thanks!

sportsbbq

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
I use iMessage to text with my family and friends back in Australia with no issue.

To text the UK, you will want 011 44 then the phone number.

Hope this helps

nickthebrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Do I just type their email into the 'To' field? I guess I need to send them a regular text to find out their registered email.

Also, can anyone confirm the exact way the uk number is written? Maybe this is my problem.

Thanks for the great help so far!

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
What country are you in ?
My sister lives in Spain and I have her phone number as +34 xxx xxx from USA and it calls fine. 34 is Spain country code.

I've iMessaged other international numbers and not reporting issues

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I iMessaged a friend in the U.S. and he replied back via iMessage succesfully. Didn't do anything special, just chose his name from contacts and it must have recognised his email address as being iMessage ready.

nickthebrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I am in the USA with a US AT&T iPhone.

Thanks for the help so far all. Will keep trying.

----------

Seems like +44 or 011 44 does not matter then.

kayl0rz

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
+44 and drop the 0

so for example if a UK number was 07812345678

it would be +44787812345678

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I am in the USA with a US AT&T iPhone.

Thanks for the help so far all. Will keep trying.

----------

Seems like +44 or 011 44 does not matter then.

I have friends in the UK and we iMessage all the time. We have found that it seems best to use the email address to send to. Whatever email address they're using as their Apple ID, we'll put into that person's contact info. Then when starting a message, you'll have the option to select which contact you want. At that point, select their email address. Your iMessage will go right through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.