iMessage and FaceTime Issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ianpuffen, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ianpuffen macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere else. Since activating my 6+ I've had a couple people tell me they can't reach me via iMessage or FaceTime to my cell number, only to my email. Under Settings > Send & Receive for both my email is selected as the option; my number is listed but is greyed out / not selectable. Both of these people were using iPhones, though I don't know which version of iOS. I have had another person text me from an iPhone (again, I don't know which iOS version) with no difficulty, and I've also received texts from a non-Apple user with no issue. This leads me to believe this is an iOS issue as opposed to a carrier (Verizon in my case) issue, as I've also had no trouble making or receiving calls. So I'm just curious if anyone has encountered this and knows what the solution is.

2. gamegeek27 macrumors newbie

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

turn them off & on again & make sure u do it when u have signal at the time with verizon

4. ianpuffen thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried turning off and on when connected to Verizon LTE, no change in my settings. Still unable to select my cell number as the default. Does anyone know if this is the new setup in iOS 8, or another bug?

5. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

Could you still have iMessage turned on your old phone? That could cause some confusion. I had a client with this issue and that was the problem. Turn of iMessage and facetime on the old phone and then turn iMessage and facetime off and back on again on the new phone. Like previously stated, make sure you have cell service on the new phone.

6. ianpuffen thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely have service on the new phone, and I did a factory restore on my old phone before selling it back to Verizon. I may end up giving them a call anyway and seeing if it's something they can resolve since no one seems to think it's an iOS issue.

7. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

did u turn off imessage/facetime first before restoring? if not thats why, known issue keep trying itll fix itself or take 45 days for the timeout on the previous device

8. ianpuffen thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I had no idea that was a necessary step. I guess I've gotta wait 45 days then. At least I can still be reached through those apps targeting my email address.

9. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

Best of luck in your quest :)