Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crwmlw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Chicago,Il
Hello everyone. I downloaded ios 7 and now facetime and iMessage wont activate. They both say Waiting for activation, I tried resetting network settings and that didnt work. Any ideas please?

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Same issue. It spins for a while then tells me to check my network. Everything else seems to be working.

Any ideas? Don't have a text plan and no iMessage is a problem for me.

Thanks

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I installed IOS7 GM last week on 3 phones. Had this issue on one of them and there is no fix. I did everything possible, restore, recover from backup. not logging in to icloud. It didn't matter, its like the problem was associated with the phones serial number. My fix was downgrading back to ios 6.1.4. Also note that it may connect after a while of trying and then just randomly disconnect again. Makes no sense to me.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I think Apple's servers are just being hammered.

Either keep trying, or be patient and try later

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I think Apple's servers are just being hammered.

Either keep trying, or be patient and try later

true but apples servers were not hammered last week. the only thing i didn't do is wait 24 hours. all of this was done in a matter of hours.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
Me too, wasn't sure if it was just a temporary problem with all the users updating at the same time, seemingly not.....

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Same issue here. Hoping it is a server-side issue and will get fixed promptly.

I've also been getting this message in push-enabled apps that I should connect to iTunes to use push notification.

Not sure what that one is all about.

sbessel

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Same issue here. Hoping it is a server-side issue and will get fixed promptly.

I've also been getting this message in push-enabled apps that I should connect to iTunes to use push notification.

Not sure what that one is all about.

I am seeing the same thing... hope it is just a server issue and will be fixed soon. It renders Find Friends useless, the alerts will not go away.

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Getting more frustrating as time passes. Is it weird that this is the only thing that isn't working for me? I mean, I updated fine, had a few settings issues but nothing major. It just won't connect to activate these 2 things. Weird.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I'm also having the same issue.

Hoping it's just a server issue because the update is new so they're getting hammered like someone else said. That and a couple apps I need for school not being updated are the reason I'm not downloading iOS 7 on my iPad just yet.

Impuls3101

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I had a similar problem on one phone with my cell service not activating. I had to reset network settings and reboot the phone to get everything working. It might be work giving a try if it doesn't resolve it self. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I had a similar problem on one phone with my cell service not activating. I had to reset network settings and reboot the phone to get everything working. It might be work giving a try if it doesn't resolve it self. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

Did that twice already, no discernible change. Perhaps third time is the charm?

jwc6160

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
4 hours in and still not working. All is working and I am pleased aside from not being able to message.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Trying restoring to factory and then loading my iTunes backup. Jesus this is annoying.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Nothing works. I installed again and while it worked at the beginning like last time. It just disconnected and won't activate again. This is an apple issue. Restores don't work

Purex

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
i Got the same problem " Waiting for Activation ", and i was able to solve it, doing the following procedure:

"If you have an iPhone and for some strange reason (you switched phone numbers or phones) your iMessages app is only showing your e-mail address and not your phone number, or the wrong phone number, turn off iMessage / Facetime, simply text Act1vate to +447537410277 . After that, turn iMessage on, and reboot. It Should be working after that "

I adapted the text a bit, cause i followed the instructions also from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmbdvbZMbQ

WARNING: You will be charged an International SMS, but hey, there´s no free lunches, right ? :p

( Taken from here - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/324487/ )

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Well I seem to have fixed my issues. Within iTunes I created a backup, then did a "Restore iPhone" (NOT "Restore Backup").

Then after the phone was wiped I restored the backup, and now iMessage, FaceTime, and push notifications are all working as expected.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Might have another solution. If you have multiple devices using same iMessage, log out and disable from all devices and reset all devices. Then try again to log into icloud on all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.