iMessage and phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by da-vid, Dec 8, 2012.

1. da-vid macrumors member

I have a Verizon iPhone 5. I'm going to be visiting family in Asia for a month and will be switching to a local SIM card.

Will I no longer be able to use iMessage with my US number during this time? If so, is there any way to get around this?

I would at least like to keep using iMessage (with my US phone number) on my computer. So, basically, my question is whether or not my US number will immediately unlink from my account as soon as I insert a new SIM.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you can still use imessage as long as your new SIM allows for data, or if not, while on wifi only. just set up imessage to be able to send/receive from your email address in addition to your phone number. people will be able to then imessage you using that instead of your number.

and when you take out your current SIM, the phone number associated with it will no longer be available as its associated with that particular SIM. if your new SIM has a data plan, people can imessage that new number or, as i stated, by your email.

to use an email address, just go into the imessage settings and add it as a contact where you can be reached. then tell people to send a text/imessage to the email as opposed to a number and it will route it to your phone. this is how people with ipod touch devices are able to imessage over wifi.

3. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

iPhone queries Apple servers through SMS whenever you want to activate iMessage with your GSM number... I don't think you can continue using iMessage with your US number when you got an Asian SIM card inserted..

With an Asian SIM, I think you'll only be able to use your email account...

A possible workaround can be: ensure that you have Wi-Fi connection, insert your US SIM card and send iMessages through Wi-Fi...