iMessage and Verizon...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tonecrafter, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Tonecrafter macrumors member

Verizon appears to be deducting iMessage texts from my total each month. I've called and they say something must be set up wrong on my phone. I don't buy that at all. I have iMessages turned on and when I send one...it's always a blue bubble. Anyone else run into this kind of issue? Could I be missing something?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It shouldn't even be registering as a text.

Are you sure it's deducting them? Did you turn off the send as SMS default, if iMessage fails?

3. Tonecrafter thread starter macrumors member

Well, it appears to be deducting them. I do a lot of texting, but mainly to others on Verizon. I have mobile to mobile, so those don't come off my allotted texts each month. However, I have several texts racked up and I suspect they must be coming from the imessages. I have not turned off "send as sms", but I have yet to see an imessage fail and send that way. They have all been blue bubble.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Odd!

However, I had a couple that showed sent as iMessage, but then showed as text, later.

If I were you, I'd start keeping a log of those you send to off-network people and see if it matches the number listed on your bill.

I just looked at my Sprint account and mine definitely aren't counting as texts.

5. Tonecrafter thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to do that. Honestly though, I only know one other person with an iphone... the rest of the people I text are ALL verizon. So, this is just bizarre.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Strange!

7. spokes1124 macrumors member

I am having the same sort of thing, however I'm not paying attention to my text count. I do notice that they will go in the blue bubble then turn green a couple minutes later. Anyone having the same issue?

8. robo3k macrumors newbie

the iPhone will try to send the message as an iMessage first, and after so many tries, if it's unsuccessful, it will send as a text message. if you have no service, it will be unsuccessful in both tries, then give you an option to resend as either or.

9. chillmeow macrumors newbie

I am not on Verizon, but AT&T. I've experienced that when I send the iMessages too quickly, it went out as text message instead of iMessage, which causing me two text messages as I do not have the unlimited text. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. EastNashJay macrumors newbie

Verizon iMessage

I had the same problem. iMessages were coming through to iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, regardless of which device sent/received. I racked up SEVERAL non-Verizon text messages on my bill and called customer care. They had me turn off the SMS setting, but I don't feel confident that if I send a non-Verizon customer an iMessage (even if it's from my iPad and iMessage is active on my phone) that they won't come off my non-Verizon allotment. I think this warrants further delving.

11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I had this same issue come up on my current bill. I was charged about $5 for text messages to other people using iMessage.

I saw where to turn off "send as SMS" if iMessage is down but my question is will you still receive messages from others if they haven't turned off the "send as SMS" option? Does you turning it off block others from sending you SMS messages when iMessage is not available?

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if other people have it set to fall back on sms if imessage fails, then you get the sms and are charged for it. in my absence of a texting plan, this makes up the bulk of my charges.