Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
I assume that iMessage knows who to send to by their Apple ID? I say this as iPod Touch's can send + receive iMessage's but they don't have sim cards.

If that is the case, do I have a problem?

I our house I have an Ipad, my two children have a Touch each, one daughter also has an iPad and from Fri my wife and I will both have an iPhone 4S.

All devices run under my Apple ID as i pay for the content that we purchase,

So, if i get a message, will it appear on all the devices?

Last edited:

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is dependent on your apple id

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So you're saying you don't want them to have an Apple ID, but you DO want them to be able to text and iMessage?

There's no workaround, you need an Apple ID to use the device itself.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
So you're saying you don't want them to have an Apple ID, but you DO want them to be able to text and iMessage?

So, i need to give a 6 & 10 year old and my wife an Apple ID, pffft. Nightmare

Remind me, does an Apple ID require the passing of card details?

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

so does this eliminate the ability to share apps?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
You so, they are wrong.

Just sign in with your Apple id on their device and then you have the option to set what email address is associated with that device. They won't need your password and won't get your iMessages.

casedogg311

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
You can assign each device a separate email address to receive messages at.

I'm running beta 5.0 now and my iPhone receives iMessages at my phone number and work email. My iPad receives at my personal email. Both use the same apple ID for purchases.

Very easy to separate.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is no different than using FaceTime.

Like you, my wife & children share a main Apple ID for purchased content, but separate emails to identify individual devices.

My plan is to start using individual @me addresses, because this will also separate personal iCloud stuff like xalendars & contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.