iMessage apps... what are they for?

pika2000

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Despite using an iPhone for so long, it's not until recently that I got into iMessage. Apple introduced apps and stickers for iMessage. The stickers, I get it. But the apps? What are they for? I tried a few but they all are simply loading the app's website. I mean what for? And I have to view the "app" in full screen to be remotely useful, blocking my chat thread. Even Youtube app simply load the youtube website.

Am I missing something here?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Despite using an iPhone for so long, it's not until recently that I got into iMessage. Apple introduced apps and stickers for iMessage. The stickers, I get it. But the apps? What are they for? I tried a few but they all are simply loading the app's website. I mean what for? And I have to view the "app" in full screen to be remotely useful, blocking my chat thread. Even Youtube app simply load the youtube website.

Am I missing something here?
While I don't really use them, I believe in most cases the idea of those apps it to easily share something from that company/service with someone that you are conversing with.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
The ones I use, such as Giphy, just allow you to send items not natively in iOS over to another user. I find the stickers to be pretty useless. My wife and children play games with each other using these apps.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

pika2000

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
While I don't really use them, I believe in most cases the idea of those apps it to easily share something from that company/service with someone that you are conversing with.
Hmm, so I guess that allows user to share things without leaving iMessage. I guess that makes sense.