iMessage as separate app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maka344, Oct 16, 2011.

1. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I would prefer iMessage as an additional app rather than integrated in to the SMS app.

The reason for this is clear as we've had many many people confused on how it first worked myself included. Also if you send a message to a user who has no coverage or data disabled but the network on it will send as a picture message which we are charged for be the network.

I like how BBM and SMS are separated rather than integrated.

It's a good idea but still no cause to delete Whatsapp just yet.

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

People not understanding something new is barely a sufficient reason for splitting applications.

I do agree that upfront the use of SMS to send imessages is discomforting, specially when the good things of the new sms app are not clearly explained (green=imessage with imessage in grey on the text field, otherwise blue).

But the truth is, you will discover that imessages being part of sms and its ability to self resolve transmit choices is a plus.

You use the app and the message arrives.

Your expenses should go down, not up, particularly if you are an already existing user of sms as part of this traffic now is transmitted for free via imessage.

3. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

I agree with you partly but I get unlimited sms's with my provider.

I would have preferred two app's, one bbm like and a sms app.

If I get charges for pics/videos I will be calling my provider for a refund

4. kmullen macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (My iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I dont have mms included in my tariff so I've just disabled it in settings. Now I can only send pictures etc to people with iMessage. I hope that's how it works anyway. Haven't been charged yet so that's a good sign.

5. Mike Biggen macrumors member

So disable MMS, problem solved. Splitting them in two is a bad idea and would lead to the feature being neglected. Most casual users aren't going to try to recall what each individual uses (iMessage/SMS) every time they want to send a message and open the appropriate app depending on who they want to send a message to. No, doing it automatically is the proper way to handle things. You can disable both SMS and/or MMS if you have an issue.

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I prefer them in one app. If it was two you'd have to know who you could iMessage as opposed to SMS.

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

There's an option to disable the text message fallback in Settings if you need it. This will prevent sending accidental picture messages.

8. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I don't want it as a separate app- I just want to toggle it ON/OFF from the send button and be in control of when exactly the messages go through text or iMessages. I don't like the thought of my texts being sent internationally just because imessages didn't work for a few minutes. But I still want texts sent to all my local US friends if iMessages doesn't work because I have unlimited texting.

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

If you turn off "Send As SMS" option I mentioned above then you'll never run into that problem.

10. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Hell no! I definitely don't want it as a separate app.

11. MastahRiz, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Right- but then it also won't text any of my friends that have iMessages but are in the US, so that's not a solution.

12. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Why split it in two when it works perfectly well now?

13. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Hmm. I guess then you'll just need to pay attention to the colour of the button before pressing send. If it turns blue, it's an iMessage.

I wonder if there's a way to create two different conversation threads for one contact, one for SMS and one for iMessage.

14. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Bite SMS or some other jailbreaker will probably figure it all out in case an Apple update does not. iMessages is great but I think it's fair to say it's not perfect yet and needs some tweaking.

15. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

I thought blue = iMessage green = SMS
    :apple:

16. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Yep. Blue is iMessage.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Yes, you're correct. iMessage is blue; SMS is green.

18. Justim macrumors 6502

Turn off I message on your phone, and get an iPad to use for iMessage.

Split.

19. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

What carrier charges more for a picture message?

I am on AT&T with unlimited messaging and as far as I know it doesn't cost anything to send an MMS message.

20. zachimal, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

zachimal macrumors member

Just turn off "Send as SMS." That still lets you send SMS's when it's green, BUT, when iMessage fails, it will NOT send the message as SMS. Problem solved.

In other words, when the Send button turns blue and you send it thinking you'll send an iMessage, it will not send a text message in case of iMessage failure. I just now learned this too. The "Send as SMS" feature was confusing to me as to whether it disabled ALL SMS or just the fail-safe method. So, it just disables the fail-safe method. You can have unlimited texting and use this and rest assured you won't accidentally sent international to someone.

21. Hey! macrumors member

You could always check out the send button...

Having 2 different apps = Have to really memorize each and every contact that uses an iPhone

22. zachimal macrumors member

Having two different apps would be sufficient for maybe, say, an Android phone. But, this is Apple... they do things differently than that. It's this kind of refinement that leads me to be a strong Apple user and advocate.

23. JASApplications macrumors 65816

24. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Rogers does in Canada, I have unlimited incoming, unlimited out going to 5 numbers and 2500 other outgoing. Not sure what they charge don't remember but it's like $0.25 per MMS.

25. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Does iMessage handle picture/video/media messaging as well? I was under the impression it was just text.