Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I agree with superstrikertwo. It is a shame too cause my wife sends me cool pictures of my child all the time that I would like to save

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
I agree with superstrikertwo. It is a shame too cause my wife sends me cool pictures of my child all the time that I would like to save

You can save them, it just doesn't do it automatically, just open the pic and save it.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
You can save them, it just doesn't do it automatically, just open the pic and save it.

I know. But it's very annoying to save every picture manually. If you forgotten to save an image, you have to search thru the entire thread and have to search for the image to save it. There is also no option to show ALL images within a thread.

Apple: That's not user friendly. :(

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I know. But it's very annoying to save every picture manually. If you forgotten to save an image, you have to search thru the entire thread and have to search for the image to save it. There is also no option to show ALL images within a thread.

Apple: That's not user friendly. :(

Scroll left and right in the image, all images from a thread are in there.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Thought I'd bring this thread back up. Can't believe this isn't an option yet. Anyone maybe have an applescript to send imessage pics to iPhoto or Aperture?

sistom

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
still??

Is this still not something that is possible?

If an auto-save option isn't possible, where are the pictures/video stored?

I'd like to plug my phone up to my computer and browse through the folders and save them that way.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

Nesha

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Auto save is not possible yet but there is one thing that you can do to extract all attachments that you got in iMessages on iOS.

Connect your device to pc, and make full backup.
Than use this or some other software to extract backup
Code:
http://supercrazyawesome.com

You should look in backup for iOS files (last in list)
and after you have extracted data, check this out in dir where you have extracted data:
Library/SMS/Attachements

And after that you will have it all but organised in many sub dirs and each of them contain your multimedia attachments.

This can be done even on devices that are not jailbroken.

Only thing that i cant figure out is how to extract all pictures from this many sub dirs into one folder. Anybody have solution?

Last edited:

fadynaime

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
i guess apple is not interested in fixing this. but if you use whatsapp there is a setting to save directly to camera roll. that feature alone makes it worth while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.