imessage being completely retarded

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antidoll, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

so yesterday i was meeting a friend and he told me he doesn't have internet on his phone (he usually uses wi-fi at home or work) and i was texting him to find out where he was and my phone kept sending it as an imessage and his msgs would come as 'text' messages but he was not getting my messages..

I had to basically disable imessage for him to receive my texts...

shouldn't imessage detect when a user doesn't have internet and send it as a text message???

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It does on my phone, I've never had such a problem.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iMessages are set so that after five minutes of attempting to deliver the iMessage, it will send it as a SMS. For this to work, both devices must be iPhones and one or both of the devices must not have a working internet connection.

4. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

well I had an internet connection while he did not... if it's really a 5 minute wait that's kind of retarded... especially if you need the message to get delivered immediately.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In that case, double tap your message as if you copy it and tap the "Send as text" bubble.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

7. VasTech, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

VasTech macrumors newbie

iMessage will work without wifi. I tried it with my co-worker here in the office without wifi. Both parties must have iMessage turned on.

My bad. I re-tried the experiment with iMessage turned off. It does send as regular text. If other party does not have iMessage.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iMessages will work without WiFi as long as both people have iPhones or 3G iPads with a working internet connection. If one has an iPod Touch or WiFi only iPad, the iMessage will sit on Apple's servers until the recipient connects to a working WiFi access point.

9. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular