Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
My iMessage has been broken, probably for a month or two, I finally noticed it, since most of my friend are on Android or dumbphones. I can go into settings and enable it, but soon as I go back into the settings, it disables itself. I tried enabling it on the iPad as well, and that doesn't help.

The iPhone is a 64GB on AT&T, 5.0.1 Jailbroken, and it has the camera disabled by the carrier through parental controls (for work, a US DoD contractor).

It's not a huge deal, as everyone I know with the iPhone has unlimited anyways. I just like showing up blue for other iPhone users and getting read receipts and such.

If anyone has any ideas as to why it's not working, that would be great.

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
Just from a quick Google session it appears iMessage will not work with the camera/FaceTime disabled. Apparently the iMessage app and the camera are tied in together due to being able to FaceTime other iDevice users while in a message by scrolling up to the top of the message.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You jailbroke a work phone? And somehow the restrictions are still intact? I am not going to go through a spiel of saying how you shouldn't tamper with work property, but how are they able to still block the camera if you jailbroke it? If the restriction is removed, then the camera will work again :)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Just from a quick Google session it appears iMessage will not work with the camera/FaceTime disabled. Apparently the iMessage app and the camera are tied in together due to being able to FaceTime other iDevice users while in a message by scrolling up to the top of the message.

Ok good to know, thanks. Kinda sucks, but not a big deal I guess. You'd think they could separate those two, as you can click on the camera app in Facebook, it just freezes.

You jailbroke a work phone? And somehow the restrictions are still intact? I am not going to go through a spiel of saying how you shouldn't tamper with work property, but how are they able to still block the camera if you jailbroke it? If the restriction is removed, then the camera will work again :)

It's my personal phone. The phone is allowed at work, provided the camera is disabled and checked by security, and cannot be plugged into or connected to any company system, even for charging (I have a generic USB charger at work for it).

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Not just any work: DoD contractor! Doesn't that make you feel just great?

Ugh.

Michael

Don't make ASSumptions. I said the camera was disabled for work, not that the phone is for work. It's my personal phone. No work information is allowed to touch it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Don't make ASSumptions. I said the camera was disabled for work, not that the phone is for work. It's my personal phone. No work information is allowed to touch it.

The fact remains you are bringing a compromised electronic device into a supposedly secure environment.

Michael

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Sheesh folks, read the thread. However, I posted on the forum at work, and it turns out that it's a bug that they fixed in 5.1.1. Now I know, and I'll get iMessage back when the JB comes out for iOS 6.

The fact that it's Jailbroken is irrelevant, as the phone is not allowed to connect to any company device, and cannot have any company data on it. So Michael, your snarky and downright false statement is rather irrelevant as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.