iMessage causing battery drain on iOS 10

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by sprucemoose, Sep 14, 2016.

1. pally macrumors member

2. rmcnelly macrumors regular

I checked again with my friend who was showing significant battery drain on his 6S. It was not the Message app. I think his software update got corrupted as the battery was draining really fast unless he put it into battery saver mode. Hope he does a wipe and clean install tonight.

3. dealmaker macrumors regular

I have had my 6S Plus for a year.....always had good battery life. iOS has killed that....for the first time Ive had the battery in the red by mid afternoon.........so something in iOS 10 is killing my battery ? Any ideas?

4. magicrevolver, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016

magicrevolver macrumors newbie

Sorry I meant to say the last beta rather than GM.

5. miknos Suspended

miknos

My Messages app is consuming a lot too:

[​IMG]

Compare that to Telegram which I use way more than 2min.
    [​IMG]

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Same here. iMessages currently at 24 min on screen and 1.3 hrs in the background.

Definitely a change in iOS 10 causing that background usage spike. Also note - I only have 1 conversation in iMessage.

-Kevin

7. Power Ranger macrumors member

Both my wife's & my iPhone 6S Plus' are experiencing battery drain. Mine is from the Messages app, my wife's is from the WeChat app. Very annoying, as this is the first time we've experienced any kind of "issues" after an OS update since the 4S. Hope this gets sorted soon.

8. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

based on previous major releases.. we saw the first .x updates 7 days later.. that means we should see iOS 10.0.2 next tuesday.

9. trssho macrumors 6502

My phone was warm so I pulled up battery in settings. iMessage used 43% of battery drain, 2.1 hours background. Really annoyed.

10. Casfin macrumors regular

That's ridiculous. Full day of texting on my 6s plus running 9.3.5 and iMessage accounts for like 4% with no background activity mentioned at all.

No chance I go to 10 at this rate.

11. 1madman1 macrumors regular

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It is quite hysterical to read article after article from pundits on how Apple will not be able to compete in AI/computer-assisted technologies because they refuse to collect and store their user's personal data - and then encounter drivel like this in macrumors.

A.

13. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

the iMessage drains battery because they made it to run on the low powered cores of 7, and without those cores it just runs 100% on 6s on down.

(I have only the 5s, and it sucks it down like crazy. Hot phone, too)

14. Casfin macrumors regular

if it was simply hardware related you'd see it across the board. There are people in my office on 10 and they are having no such issues.

15. nhamp07 macrumors regular

Boooo

Attached Files:

16. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

I updated to iOS 10 and then restored the phone to factory settings. And turned off all the things that suck battery.

iMessage is draining my battery when I use the drawing doodle stuff. It makes the chip run hot.

Are your office mates on 5s?

17. miknos Suspended

miknos

Came here to say that iMessage is under control now. It doesn't hog battery anymore.

Photos app had to index (scan) pics. Maybe iMessage had to do something similar. Problem solved though.

18. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

19. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

No background refresh. I cycled my battery. Going to see if that helps

20. FYou macrumors newbie

Got a new iphone 7+ . was upset about the battery life not being any better until i looked at the battery suckers. messages are at 37% drain. the next biggest power suck was youtube after 2 hours of watching comming in at 13%. Big bug. I did restore from icloud. i did try the draw feature as someone said. i deleted all my messages and will see if it keeps sucking power.

21. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

He's been dead for five years. You didn't even know the guy. How many more years will it be before you get over it?

22. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Glad I'm not the only one with Messages hogging the battery. Since the day after iOS 10 was released, I've been seeing 40-50%ish consumption just from this app. Music, too has suddenly started hogging the battery. Quite silly. Apparently 10.1 Beta fixes this issue.

23. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

[​IMG]

Absolutely fine on mine. Maybe a hard restart or resetting some settings might help?

24. Machismo macrumors newbie

Machismo

I had the same issue with iMessage and iOS 10 GM and found it weird since i don't really use iMessage that much and couldn't figure out why iMessage might be running in the backgroud.

For whatever reason, the Health App on my iPhone 6S had iMessage listed as one of its Sources. Turning that off solved the problem.

After iOS 10.0.1 was released, I did a 'clean install' and haven't seen iMessage under Health App Sources again.

25. Eduardboon macrumors 6502

I encounter a similar thing, have been encountering it for years now; Messages will always be at the top of my battery usage list with Background activity. It only shows 2-5 minutes of background activity though. Disabling iMessage fixes this problem, but sometimes it goes away on its own for a few months before returning again. Guess it's a sync issue. Happens more with a watch paired.

My Usage is also always half of my standby time; so after 12 hours standby my usage is 6 hours. Consistently.