iMessage colors

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kris-hm, Jul 20, 2014.

1. kris-hm macrumors member

kris-hm

This is probably a stupid question but when i use iMessage i noticed that not all of my chat bubbles are the same color. When i send messages they are blue and for the majority of contacts the messages i receive are white, but for a select few they are purple and blue. I checked preferences in iMessage and its set to automatic. Is there some way to set a color to a specific contact?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

iMessage colors

Sounds about right. Incoming messages to you should be white/grey and outgoing should be blue. There's also a bit of a gradient going on, older messages are a lighter blue while the most recent are darker. (Never seen purple though)

3. kris-hm thread starter macrumors member

kris-hm

I mean I know my messages are supposed to be blue, and I know incoming are supposed to be this white, but the incoming on just a couple are purple or blue and it's constant. They are always the same color even if I delete the message and start a new conversation. Almost like there should be a setting that would allow me to select the color I want for a specific contact. Is that possible is what I'm getting at? I know I can change all of them to a single color but can I set a single color to a single contact?

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Sorry thought you were referring to iOS. On the Mac, click on 'Messages' on the menu bar up top, and choose Preferences. You can customize chat bubbles colors under Messages. I don't think you change them individually for each contacts though.