iMessage confusion on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by apaschea, Oct 4, 2011.

1. apaschea, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

apaschea macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    Have a quick question.

So I thought that iMessage was suppose to seamlessly be integrated into text messaging this way:

You text someone and the phone checks if they are able to receive it through iMessage instead of Texting. If the phone finds that it cannot, it sends it as a text.

I have iOS 5 gm installed on my iPhone 4, my girlfriends iPhone 4 and my iPad 2. I thought that if my girlfriend texted me it would see that iMessage was available on my phone and send me an iMessage instead of a text. Since it is pushed to all devices, I would get it on my iPad. So if I says working on my iPad I could just send texts like that instead of using my phone.

It sadly does not work like that. When I start typing in a name that has a phone number and iMessage email associated with it, it asks me to choose which one I want to send it to. A mentioned earlier I thought it would work as one and choose the iMessage if it can and if not then text message.

Am I missing something here? Or am I not understanding something?
    When I choose the phone number to text which also has an iMessage email attached to it, it will still say iMessage where I am suppose to type.

Sorry I'm throwing out so many questions and there isn't really any structure to my post but I have one last question. One everybody updates to iOS 5, if I just text them by using their phone number, will it still send an iMessage? Do they need to set up an email or does it just work. That's what I thought it would be. No need to set anything up, it would just know if you were on an iOS device and use data instead of carrier texts if a connection was established.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I believe it works as one and pushes it to the persons various devices but I haven't been able to test it yet.

3. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

My uncle and I were just testing this out with our 2 iPads and 2 iPhones.

If you send an iMessage to the email address it will go to both. If you send it to the phone number it will just go to the phone.

I wish it would always go to both.