Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to the new Journal app, the iOS 17.2 and macOS 14.2 updates add support for iMessage Contact Key Verification, a feature that Apple first previewed in December of last year.

Apple-advanced-security-iMessage-Contact-Key-Verification_screen-Feature.jpg

Designed for those who face "extraordinary digital threats," such as journalists, human rights activists, and government officials, iMessage Contact Key Verification allows people to verify the identify of the person they're corresponding with. It is available today in the iOS 17.2, iPadOS 17.2, macOS Sonoma 14.2, and watchOS 10.2 betas.

iPhone, iPad, or Mac users who have iMessage Contact Key Verification enabled will be notified if a malicious entity somehow succeeds in breaching cloud data servers and is able to eavesdrop on a conversation.

The feature also includes a Contact Verification Code that can be used in person or on FaceTime.
With iMessage Contact Key Verification, users can choose to further verify that they are messaging only with the people they intend. Contact Key Verification uses Key Transparency to enable automatic verification that the iMessage key distribution service returns device keys that have been logged to a verifiable and auditable map. When a user enables Contact Key Verification, they will be notified about any validation errors directly in the Messages conversation transcript and Apple ID Settings.

For even higher security, iMessage contact key verification users can compare a Contact Verification Code in person, on FaceTime, or through another secure call. They can also choose to create or edit a contact and save a public key to turn on CKV with that person.
To use iMessage Contact Key Verification, all devices signed into an iCloud account must have the iOS 17.2 beta, macOS 17.2 beta, and/or watchOS 10.2 beta.

Article Link: iMessage Contact Key Verification Added in iOS 17.2 and macOS Sonoma 14.2 Betas

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I wonder what a typical day is like for people who legitimately need this? I wonder if it is more mundane than I’d think, or I wonder if it would be like a spy movie where you sneak secrets on an sd card in a Rubik’s cube or hide razor blades to cut free from zip ties in the leather back pocket patch of Levi’s.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I can’t imagine who would use this useless feature. Idk
Jeff Bezos needs it.

His what’s app was hacked by Saudi Arabia and they gained access to his phone and were able to discover he was cheating on his wife. This then was leaked to the press. She filed for divorce and his net worth dropped by nearly half. Whoops!😬

I plan to try it out with my wife. Need it? No. Interested to learn more about security? Yes.

USAvalos

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
I wonder what a typical day is like for people who legitimately need this? I wonder if it is more mundane than I’d think, or I wonder if it would be like a spy movie where you sneak secrets on an sd card in a Rubik’s cube or hide razor blades to cut free from zip ties in the leather back pocket patch of Levi’s.
Actually there is a lot of people who would benefit from this in the real world, in particular people in places where being a jounalist is just plain dangerous by having your phone intercept by some malicious entities without knowing.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I can’t imagine who would use this useless feature. Idk
I'm always puzzled by this kind of comment. It's not because it's a niche feature or that you personally don't have any need for it that it makes it useless. Especially if it's an optional feature. Just don't use it, some people will be happy to have this option.

A great example of me, myself and I

tolsen718

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2019
The purpose of this feature is to make it impossible for a government to order Apple to spy on their customers.

A state actor could still root either phone involved in a conversation, however. This feature does not protect against that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasparilla

itrends

macrumors member
May 15, 2020
This is fantastic.

With AI / impersonation on a rampant rise for scamming, being able to know if you’re really hearing from your family member etc will become critical.

I can see this being extended to customer care / business purposes as well.

As we enter an age where trust will be eroded, having these tools is welcome news.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
This is fantastic.

With AI / impersonation on a rampant rise for scamming, being able to know if you’re really hearing from your family member etc will become critical.

I can see this being extended to customer care / business purposes as well.

As we enter an age where trust will be eroded, having these tools is welcome news.

The problem is, it doesn’t work with those that insist on using Android devices. It’s an Apple only feature.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Actually there is a lot of people who would benefit from this in the real world, in particular people in places where being a jounalist is just plain dangerous by having your phone intercept by some malicious entities without knowing.
Not to mention plenty of state whistleblowers. Governments typically don’t abuse whistleblowers lightly (like Edward Snowden, for instance, or various Chinese dissidents).

Reactions: zapmymac

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Not to mention me. My mom once refused to stop calling me until I agreed to come home for the holidays and she hacked into my brother's iCloud account and added her iPhone 15 Pro Max and used it to trick me into agreeing to come. This would have averted the whole situation.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not to mention me. My mom once refused to stop calling me until I agreed to come home for the holidays and she hacked into my brother's iCloud account and added her iPhone 15 Pro Max and used it to trick me into agreeing to come. This would have averted the whole situation.
Dayum!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Fast fade on Page Turning? My God page turning is as perfect as it is. Anyone who's working on Books and hate page turning - and trying to change it or getting rid of it - should go work on something else.
Leave Page Turning alone FFS!!

corinthos

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2018
Perfect! I need to know that Grandma is really Grandma and not some imposter before we chat.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Jeff Bezos needs it.

His what’s app was hacked by Saudi Arabia and they gained access to his phone and were able to discover he was cheating on his wife. This then was leaked to the press. She filed for divorce and his net worth dropped by nearly half. Whoops!😬

I plan to try it out with my wife. Need it? No. Interested to learn more about security? Yes.
WhatsApp already has contact key verification and warnings for close to a decade… it wont help you when you or your contact get „hacked“ if you have no idea what the functionality does.

CaptainFS

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
Who uses iMessage???
Edit: serious question, I haven't used this since it's introduction in 2011. Nobody I know uses it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.