iPhone XS iMessage Contact Name Display Problem

acts4:12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Hey guys, I have a weird problem on my XS. When I receive a text from my wife, who has a 7+, it does not show her name on the lock screen, notification center, or banners. Rather than her name, it shows "tel:+1xxxxxxxxxx" (photo attached). However, when i open iMessage, it shows her name normally. She is the only contact that i have this problem with.

The strange thing is, when i turn iMessage off on her phone and it sends a normal text message, it shows her name normally. This leads me to believe the problem is specific to iMessage.

I have tried everything i can think of, and Apple Support has walked me through everything they know to do with no success. As of now, it has been escalated all the way to Apple Engineering, and they have no answers thus far.

Have any of you experienced something like this?

Attachments

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hey guys, I have a weird problem on my XS. When I receive a text from my wife, who has a 7+, it does not show her name on the lock screen, notification center, or banners. Rather than her name, it shows "tel:+1xxxxxxxxxx" (photo attached). However, when i open iMessage, it shows her name normally. She is the only contact that i have this problem with.

The strange thing is, when i turn iMessage off on her phone and it sends a normal text message, it shows her name normally. This leads me to believe the problem is specific to iMessage.

I have tried everything i can think of, and Apple Support has walked me through everything they know to do with no success. As of now, it has been escalated all the way to Apple Engineering, and they have no answers thus far.

Have any of you experienced something like this?
In the description you mentioned that if you turn off iMessage and send as a text it shows up with her name normally. However, in the screenshot you posted, it shows up as her number but says “text” under it. Shouldn’t it say “iMessage”?

That said, I’d try adding this number exactly how it shows up even with the +1 to her contact and if you use iCloud verify that it gets updated by logging into iCloud.com. You could also completely delete the entry you have from her and re-add it back.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
In the description you mentioned that if you turn off iMessage and send as a text it shows up with her name normally. However, in the screenshot you posted, it shows up as her number but says “text” under it. Shouldn’t it say “iMessage”?

That said, I’d try adding this number exactly how it shows up even with the +1 to her contact and if you use iCloud verify that it gets updated by logging into iCloud.com. You could also completely delete the entry you have from her and re-add it back.
Hey timeconsumer, the reason it says "text" in the pic is because that was the actual contents of the test message that I sent to my phone from hers when i was trying to fix the problem.

As far as the other suggestions, i have tried setting up her info with the +1, and have even done so directly from iCloud. I have also tried deleting all her contact info completely and adding it back in. Even deleting her conversation history completely from iMessage didn't fix the issue.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hey timeconsumer, the reason it says "text" in the pic is because that was the actual contents of the test message that I sent to my phone from hers when i was trying to fix the problem.

As far as the other suggestions, i have tried setting up her info with the +1, and have even done so directly from iCloud. I have also tried deleting all her contact info completely and adding it back in. Even deleting her conversation history completely from iMessage didn't fix the issue.
Ah, ok. That makes more sense now, thanks for the clarification. Prior to having the XS, did you have a non-iPhone? I’m curious if you may have stored contacts on your SIM card and that’s confusing the iPhone. You could always check with your provider and pick up a new SIM to see if that helps at all.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Ah, ok. That makes more sense now, thanks for the clarification. Prior to having the XS, did you have a non-iPhone? I’m curious if you may have stored contacts on your SIM card and that’s confusing the iPhone. You could always check with your provider and pick up a new SIM to see if that helps at all.
My phone prior to the XS was an 8+. I didn't have the problem on the 8+. I happened to have an old backup from my 8+ that I restored awhile back and it temporarily fixed the problem, but it returned after awhile.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
My phone prior to the XS was an 8+. I didn't have the problem on the 8+. I happened to have an old backup from my 8+ that I restored awhile back and it temporarily fixed the problem, but it returned after awhile.
You could remove your iCloud account completely and then re-add it.

I’m out of ideas, but the last thing I can think of is factory reset and setup as new not restoring from a backup. Then add the entry manually to see if it works.

Otherwise, you’ll need to keep working with Apple support to have them sort this out for you.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
OP did you ever find a resolution to this?

My sister is having the same issue.
Hi Edge, unfortunately apple engineering could not figure out a resolution, so I took matters in my own hands and was able to fix it on my own. Here is what I did:

1. Deleted all of my wife's contact info completely and ensured it was gone from phone, iCloud, and messages.
2. Deleted all her conversation history in iMessage from phone.
3. Performed a full factory reset and restore on device.
4. Set up the iPhone as "New" rather than restore a backup
5. Sent a text from my wife's phone after the restore
6. Created a new contact card for her from the text

It was a MAJOR pain setting everything up from scratch but it did fix the issue. Hope this will help your sister.

Reactions: ericwn