iMessage Craziness

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by MarathonRock, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MarathonRock macrumors newbie

So I have a scenario and wondering if anyone can fix it. I have to iPhones and an iPad on the same apple ID number. I sent an iMessage to an iPod Touch, and all 3 are receiving the message and replies, is there any way to turn it off to where it is only a message between my iPhone and another iPod touch without it being so "group-like?"

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The entire point of iMessage is that messages sync across all of your devices...

3. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Go to Settings>Messages>Receive at> and deselect the phone number from your iPad, and keep the email ID. This way, only iMessages sent to your email ID will go to the iPad, and the ones sent to your iPhone phone number will go to your iPhone only.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

But It's Supposed To Act That Way?

...Or am I losing the plot? Disabling it negates the whole idea....I want it to come in on all my mobile devices....:confused:

5. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Yeah, but your replies are not synced on all the devices. So, what's the point of only syncing one side of the conversation?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But the OP wants messages to only go from his iPhone to his iPod touch.

Not relevant. Nobody asked how you want iMessage to work; the OP has a specific request that, as far as I can tell, is not possible.

7. mreddys10 macrumors regular

I don't mean to be rude, but please look again. It's not the OP's iPod touch. He has 2 iPhones and an iPad (3 devices, and he spelled 'two' as 'to'). When he is having a conversation with another iPod Touch (not his), he doesn't want the replies to appear on all 3 of his devices.

8. MarathonRock thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct. My wife and I both use the same iTunes account, and I prefer her to not get notified everytime I send receive a text through iMessage. Would prefer to keep it more personal from device to device

9. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

It annoyed me also, so i just set another email up for my ipad..so my wife can imessage when im work without recieving duplicates.

No biggy.

My facetime email is the same on both, just imessage is seperate now. Ipad is good in the evening chatting and sending pics with a friend..i dont need that sent to my iphone aswel.

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

You can maintain the same iTunes acct for purchases and still have unique iCloud accts (or simply AppleIDs) for each person. This setup will likely solve your issue.